MyPaint version pre-alpha preview

@kaiko would you mind joining our discord or our irc channel, then I’ll try to help you.

I need to know more about the problem, to identity what’s wrong.

edit: Should be fixed now. Try to compile again.

Here’s the newest build in case it still won’t compile (windows):
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7zQuPZEO_64UDVrZFkzZmhSSmc?usp=sharing

1 Like

Progress report:
What’s new:

• All tools except polyline working.
  • Undo/redo is possible again
  • Significant performance boost.
  • Brush width is respected

If you wish to try it out, go grab it here:
Only windows builds are uploaded to the cloud currently.
win64: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7zQuPZEO_64UDVrZFkzZmhSSmc
win32: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7zQuPZEO_64QmNxdG84WDN5Znc
Make sure you grab the latest version (beware the timestamps!)

What’s not working or is broken:

• Vector drawing
  • Polyline tool.
  • Feather
  • various other settings in the tool options panel

What’s next or what’s missing before we can make an actual pull request:

• Fixing Polyline tool (hopefully with mypaint but we’ll see…)
  • Brush settings panel
  • getting vector working again.

So we’re getting there :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@MrStevns
What can I say!.. We are getting there for sure.
I have downloaded your build and it brings soo many smooth improvements so far.
One thing I noticed was the MyPaint brushes’ icons are taking a bit of space since there are like twice the size of the original work of @feeef. Still I do feel that they can be down size without compromising the visualization.

About the Discord/IRC channels, I am not sure how to use them. Are they like a normal chat room? If so, I will certainly join them when new issues appear here

You are doing great with this version.
I will start checking this and will come back with news.

:slight_smile:

[edited: about the vector drawing, I meanly use raster so I will be OK with that]

@kaiko Yes, Discord is a platform where you can host your own private or public server with text and voice chat. Making an account is actually free, but you can test the system with a guest account.

You can also use your browser or download an installable app for windows, macOS or Linux systems.

It’s not required that you use it, although we have the forums linked with the discord server so having a role here will give you a server role there.
You can read this post for more info on that: [Announcement] Discord / Fourm Roles

Anyway, regarding MyPaint, I think that once there are more presets available the icons could get smaller, but like in MyPaint, that should be a choice for the user. I personally like them big because I’m kind of blind so I need to see them extra large :stuck_out_tongue:

Progress report (01/12/2020)

What’s new

• All tools for bitmap works now
  • Added brush configurator window (temporary placement atm.), this allows changing all available mypaint parameters (except mapping) (including a new softness setting that I’ve implemented in mypaint brush engine)
    • The editor shows by default all mypaint values mapped to something more relatable (though it’s still wip). You can press the “mypaint values/pencil2d values” to change the visual representation. The mypaint values can be useful when customizing a brush by hand and wants to ensure compatibility with other applications using libmypaint
  • Fixed: paint wasn’t applied properly when importing an image or using bucket tool, before the content would be clipped and could show artifacts.

What’s not working / known issues

• Vector drawing
  • old brush settings in tool options (will be removed and replaced by something more customizable)
  • Saving, export and importing brushes.
  • canvas rotation (breaks mypaint tiling)
  • Brush size preview doesn’t represent actual brush size

What’s next

• Implementing curve mapping
  • Brush saving/overwriting
  • Save new brush
  • Import brush

Only windows builds are uploaded to the cloud currently
Win64: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7zQuPZEO_64UDVrZFkzZmhSSmc
Win32: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7zQuPZEO_64QmNxdG84WDN5Znc

Make sure you grab the latest version (beware the timestamps!)

2 Likes

Progress report (31/01/2020)

I’m going on vacation tomorrow but will be back in 10 days, until then, here’s a small progress report of what I’ve been doing the last month.

With the new brush mapping widget you can control:

• Pressure sensitivity
  • Radius
  • Speed (slow/fast)
  • Direction
  • Noise
  • Tilt
    and more…

It’s limited to 8 points currently, because that’s libmypaint max.

Changes are not saved atm. so you’ll only be able to customize the brush you’re currently using.

Win64 : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7zQuPZEO_64UDVrZFkzZmhSSmc
Win32 : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7zQuPZEO_64QmNxdG84WDN5Znc

Make sure you grab the latest version ( beware the timestamps! )

2 Likes

Progress report (16/02/2020)

Lots of code has been written, yes… but now it’s finally possible to save brush changes. It’s not battle tested but it works for me, so hopefully it works for you too :stuck_out_tongue:

The UI has been tweaked in this release, mainly to optimize for space. The “menu” which was previously located at the top of the dialog has been moved to the bottom. Opening the mapping config widget with options in it would previously require you to press the mapping button before you could modify the input, but since the user would potentially more often than not only have one input, I made it default to show the mapper as soon as any option is present.

The brush icon and title has been added to the window, so it’s easier to see which brush you’re modifying.

Changing brush would previously leave all mapping dialogs open, this meant that the user could potentially still modify the parameters of the previous brush, if not careful, therefore to avoid this, all mapping config windows will be closed whenever the user selects a another brush.

The next task will be to allow editing the brush name, image and its comment as well as cloning the entire brush. it will also be possible to specify in what tools you should show the brush (eg. if you desire it, you could move any brush to any drawing tool you like)

Ah yes, the brush config window is not open when the application starts anymore. You can find it via the config button in the brush selector widget. I also sneaked in a non functional UI for brush presets but it’s well… non functional currently and UI is WIP like everything else :wink: image

What’s new

• Save brush changes
    • Add, edit or remove inputs entirely.
    • change base value
  • Remove brushes from the list
    • A delete button has been added to the configurator window, this will effectively remove the brush from the list.
      • note: The brush is not deleted from disk, it is blacklisted so re-adding the brush later is a trivial task.
  • Added more UI (WIP)
  • Added brush icon and name to configurator window
  • Configurator and mapping window now stays on top of pencil2D main window.

2 Likes

Hi, I just tried out this branch, and noticed that every now and then when drawing (here using the pencil brushes), circled in red, where it sort of makes this straight line regardless of what I’m actually drawing. It kind of seems like it does this when I try to draw very quickly.: image

Also, there appears to be some sort of graphic glitch where white boxes appear on the canvas, but they disappear if I click on something (I tried to screenshot it, but noticed when I tried to use snipping tool it’d go back to normal).

Other than those two things (which is understandable), I haven’t experienced much negative. The MyPaint brushes kind of makes it feel like TVPaint, which is a plus to me, as I enjoy the demo of it.

(This is my first post, so I hope I posted right.)

1 Like

@Noobimator thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:

There’s a bug currently where using brush cursor preview will generate white squares, try to disable it in preferences and see if that fixes the issue.

The other bug sounds weird, not sure what’s causing it… it sounds like a lagg problem, meaning that the computer can’t keep up and thus only registers a stroke of where you started and ended, thus the line. we don’t queue up strokes like that, if it fails to draw in x moment, you lose that point. I’ll add it to the list of things to investigate.

Do note that the build might also contain bugs that doesn’t exist in master anymore, so it could be a lack of not being up to date with our currently build.

1 Like

Thanks, that did seem to help a bit.

And at first I thought it could be my computer being weak (which could also be true), but the program seems relatively light, and it’s not something I experience in every drawing program. :thinking:

And thank you for the reply, I look forward to the program’s progress! I can tell there’s real effort put in to improve it.

2 Likes

@MrStevns

Really well done… I just downloaded this version few days ago. I will try it out the best that I can.

Thank you!

1 Like

Progress report (18/03/2020)

I was hoping to have had this ready two weeks ago, but then life happened and other stuff took my precious free time. No Worries though, It’s already been in the works for a long time, so waiting another two weeks is nothing in what feels like a lifetime.

Without further ado… The first version of pencil2D with brush presets has landed in nightlybuilds.

The few changes you’ll (not) notice when you startup pencil now is: The preset button (which has no icon yet…) works and open a view like this.

By default ‘deevad’ is present as that’s our standard brush pack for now but you can, using the buttons above, create or remove presets you’ve added. The ‘deevad’ preset cannot be removed through UI but you can remove it manually through the presets config file.

What’s interesting is that since you now control where a brush should be shown, you could potentially move all your brushes to one tool, say ‘Pencil’ and never worry about other drawing tools again. It’s completely up to you.

The preset/brushes config file: This file has existed since the beginning of the mypaint branch, however in this release I’ve rewritten the structure (and therefore also a lot of the logic behind it), there’s no real gain except clarity but I thought it had to be done since I wanted to use this file for storing multiple presets.

Whenever you add a new preset through Pencil2D, the name will be added to this file, the structure tells us about which preset and tool your brushes belong to. The file is loaded upon opening Pencil2D, so any changes you make to this file, will first take effect when you relaunch the application.

You can hide a brush from your preset by adding a “#” tag in front of the brush or remove it entirely.

An example of what it might look like

Other things

The brush info dialog has been tweaked:

The spacing has been improved, The preset selector has been turned into a drop down selector, before you had to type in the name manually, which required validation.

The preset and tool selector are now placed above each other and makes use of the otherwise (wasted) white-space that was previously below the image buttons.

The next thing I’ll look into will be bug fixes and possibly work on re-enabling features, so I can get the branch up to date with master.

What’s new

• Brush Presets
    • Ability to add, remove and rename presets
    • Move brushes between presets and or tools

2 Likes

Hi @MrStevns, Impressive work!

I have just downloaded both versions Win32 and Win64, but nothing happens when hitting the executable.

Win8.1 x 64bits

When you say nothing happens, do you mean that the application never opens or does it crash?

It never opens… I went to the last pencil2d that worked ok and copy its executable and pasted on the last version of 18March, and it opened… so, I presume the executable is missing something

Alright with the help of the team, the problem should be solved now. The problem was that the config file that stores the brushes didn’t get exported at all on windows. Try to grab the newest nightlybuild and see if it works :slight_smile:

Nothing happens again. I tested all three versions from day 20th… and pencil2d doesn´t start

Ah… I should mention that you probably need to delete the brushes folder from appData/roaming/pencil2D/Pencil2D, when you’ve done that, try to open the application again

edit: I’ve just tried on my windows 10 setup, with the newest build and everything works.

1 Like

Quick progress report (21/3/20)

I’ve made a bunch of changes to hopefully get rid of those nasty white blobs that appeared when using cursor preview.

Bonus: Preview cursor has correct size now, the feather ring however is gone but maybe that’s for the better.

What’s changed

• Fixed white refresh artifacts
  • Fixed incorrect canvas cursor size.

Known issue

We rely on mypaint brush state now to get the actual brush size… this might be a problem because the state is only updated when drawing, so whenever you change the brush size, the old cursor will be shown until you’ve drawn.

1 Like

That solved the issue Oliver :smile:

I downloaded the last one from 21th and it is working fine. Thank you

Lets see what I’ll bring next