MyPaint version pre-alpha preview

@kaiko good news, you should be able to compile it now :wink:

Only bitmap layer works, no fill (yet) but selection works, polyline is WIP, you can pan and zoom but rotation is still horribly broken :stuck_out_tongue:

@MrStevns So, if I clone your branch from Github, it should compile? Or is something from feeefā€™s account needed too?

It should compile and run if you clone my branch

Hi @MrStevns, I have been silently paying attention to your branch and about this dawn I managed to build Pencil2D. I was like WHOOO when it opened but there were no brush engine :sweat_smile:ā€¦
So I am happy to go and check it now

Thank you!

@MrStevns
I have tested your branch and I am not able to work with it at the moment, there is some strange behaviors it is a WIP as you said. There is a bug that keeps closing pencil2D unexpectedly (hitting ALT after laying a line over the canvas)

Still I can see you have been working with this branch and so thank you for your help :slight_smile:

@kaiko Strange, did the pull the latest changes from yesterday? I had a bug where the color information didnā€™t get send to Mypaint but thatā€™s fixed now. It is unstable though but I havenā€™t been able to crash the application just by painting using the drawing tools and staying on bitmap layer. Polyline is broken and will crash the application if used currently. Colorpicker doesnā€™t work either, nor fill tool.

Btw. the paint library relies heavily on compiler optimisation, so you should compile as ā€œreleaseā€ to get the best performance. Thereā€™s a huge difference in using the debug and release build.

@MrStevns
Here it is what is happening.
Two issues:
1- pencil2d crashes when using the Smudge smooth (?) tool (using shortcut ALT)
2- dragging the smudge tool over a painted area will make the paint disappear temporarily

Thank you. I believe those are the only issues I have noticed.

@kaiko Ahaā€¦ Iā€™ve forgotten to fix smudge tool so thatā€™s why it crashes. The shortcuts for changing the variation of smudging will not work for now because itā€™s basically changing of brush. Iā€™ve fixed the second issue and will update my branch later tonight. :slight_smile:

@MrStevns
I build your last update and I have test it (smudge crash was fixed) but I am not sure if you want me to show you other issues that I found.

BTW, the second issue is still there, thought more subtle: dragging the tool slowwllllyyy it works OK, with speed white squares keeps flashing

1 Like

@kaiko Youā€™re welcome to mention all of the issues youā€™ve experienced :slight_smile:

Interesting that you still experience the second issueā€¦ Iā€™ve just pushed some updates regarding painting and the color picker, maybe thatā€™ll fix it. There was also a flickering issue that happened because the canvas would temporarily refresh but not repaint but that should also be fixed now.

if you can still reproduce the flashing, donā€™t hesitate to record a session of it :wink:

@MrStevns , so here they are :smile:

1. Issue with the Slide-value of the drawing tools.
    Even the brush-slide shows a value it will not be applied to the strokes till you somehow select it on the slide-bar (or change it to a different one)

1. When using the Pen tool and selecting the Hand, it will make all lines disappear. It doesnā€™t happen when using the Brush tool

1. The New feature doesnā€™t work since all lines are still present in the new canvas.
    Another issue is that there is no warning about saving changes before selecting New

ESTENDAL

@MrStevns, Hi
I have tested your version of pencil2d once more, and I found out that I am not able to export an image since pencil2D crashes everytime after hitting ā€œsaveā€

Which branch did you try? The most up to date code can be found here https://github.com/CandyFace/pencil/tree/implement_mypaint_nobitmapsurface?files=1

I havenā€™t worked on it in a while but it should be less broken since it doesnā€™t use a tiled bitmap anymore.

1 Like

@MrStevns
Glad you send me that link. Strangely as it may sound, I can see there is an update of the code made 6 days ago, and I wasnā€™t able to see it when I used another link for the same pageā€¦

I will try it and will be back. Thank you :+1:

@kaiko I added a small update a few days ago but nothing that changes the code, just stuff related to the build process :slight_smile:

Ohhhh OKā€¦

I will leave it that way than. :smile:

@kaiko itā€™s now possible to change the brush size, also, if you compile the build as release youā€™ll see much greater performance.

Oh, thank you so much @MrStevns for this update! :smile:

One question: I am using Qt_5_9_7_MinGW_32bit, but I am not able to build the code. I compiled the last code of pencil2D [13Dez2019] and it did work, but didnā€™t work with your last code.