What is sound scrubing?

Hi! I have quick question for anybody willing to answer. What is “sound scrubbing” ? I tried turing it on and off in a short 18 frame animation with sound but, no diffrence in audio OR visual. Is sound scrubing something with exporting or if the sound loops? I only ask, becuase I plan too add more sounds into my animations for the future. I assume its for the best I ask first, so I don’t mess anything up with audio.

Extra stuff: I’m refering to the button next to sound on/off with a S thats red or green (depending on if its on/off) I’m using version: Nightly Build Mar 26 2022 (i think… I may have copied the wrong thing)

Thanks for reading! Have a great day!

2 Likes

@StarShine100 Hi. If audio / sound scrubbing is turned on, try moving the playhead (vertical blue bar) across the timeline.

You should hear the sound coming out from each frame. If you do hear the sound, note that without audio scrubbing this would normally not be possible, and you’d only be able to listen to the sound during playback.

At a glance the term audio scrubbing basically comes from the “scrubbing” motion you perform over the timeline.

This is often used for lip synchronization (lip-sync) and to accurately match sound effects or music beats to the animation since regular playback can lag itself with enough frames and layers on the project

For more info please read the sound guide known issues:

Here’s a video that shows this feature in action along a tip on how to configure it

The playlist showcases other new yet mildly unknown features that were added a few years ago. Hope this helps.

3 Likes

Thanks for taking your time to reply!

This seems like a really cool feature. The only question I’m left with is: What kind of things could I use sound scrubbing for? Would it be helpfull for lip sync? (or is there anything else I should know about lip sync?)

Also, I don’t know if I should ask here, or make a new topic for lip sync. (I don’t want to break any rules or/and be annoying)

1 Like

@StarShine100 Hi. It’s ok to ask, don’t worry however please take the time to read my previous reply carefully. I already answered your question there.

Edit: On the topic of “how” you should use it to lip-sync I’m afraid I can’t answer that in a two line comment. Your best bet would be to look how people lip-sync in other software, but basically you have to listen to the phonemes and draw specific key poses for mouths. This is mostly done by experience but there are charts that map out the visual phonemes to simplify which sounds you would need to draw.

2 Likes

@StarShine100 Sorry I just recalled I actually explained this to someone a long time ago. Here’s the video. Hope it helps.

Edit: Lip sync explanation goes up until minute 08:00 or so, the rest are just troubleshooting tips for sound issues related to scrubbing. Hopefully you won’t need those.

3 Likes

This is great! I’m sure I’ll use this in the future! Sorry I missed that part in the first response I’ll be sure to read more carefully next time.

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

The way that I am doing my lip syncing personally is that I am animating first and then bringing my footage into editing to add voice acting/sound effect/soundtrack later. I mutter the words to myself as I animate beforehand, that way I have a basic outline of what I am saying for my line, and then I voice act accordingly after I’m done animating.

Reason why I do this is because on Pencil2D I see no option to move or grab audio and trim/split it within Pencil2D so I do it in post.

That one should be on the Ideas topic right there.

1 Like

Thats a cool idea! Thanks for replying!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 42 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.