Unable to Download - Just opens file on computer

every time i go to download pencil it just opens up a folder on my computer with things like “plugins” “audio”, etc. and i cant actually download the application. anyone know what i should do?

@austinjames Hi and welcome to the forum Austin. Pencil2D works like a portable application, what you download is a ZIP file or compressed file folder. So first need to extract the contents of said compressed folder to your computer, and then run it.

If you’re using Windows OS I recommend first following this guide as faithfully as possible: [Guide] How to Train Your Pencil2D (Windows)

There it explains how to unzip and prevent potential problems you might have in the long run due to Windows security protocols.

Since it is possible you will get an error saying you’re missing VCRUNTIME140_.dll or MSVCP140.dll, if you do get that error know that this is because your Windows installation is missing said files, and in such case you simply need to install the components by running the vc_redist.exe installer on your newly extracted Pencil2D folder.

If you have any other issue, let us know.

So first need to extract the contents of said compressed folder to your computer, and then run it.

To be clear here, when he says “it”, he is referring to the pencil2d.exe file, which is the application you actually run when you want to open Pencil2D. The extension may be hidden so that it is only listed as “pencil2d” (depending on your system preferences).

This topic was automatically closed 42 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.