Not opening, help :( (MSVCP140.dll Missing)

This is the notif I keep getting whenever I open the app after extracting the files. I have Windows10 so I downloaded the 64bit, but I’ve also tried the lesser version as well. To my knowledge, my computer is up to date with updates and my update manager app hasn’t notified me for any updates either so I’m not sure if it’s that or the app itself? And I’ve deleted and redownloaded both multiple times as well.

@blackswanndraws Hi. This is a common issue for Windows systems. Fortunately there’s an easy fix. Along with Pencil2D in the ZIP file comes a set of files. One is called vc_redistx86.exe and the other one is called vc_redistx64.exe Pick ONLY ONE depending on your OS Software architecture (if it’s 32 bits or 64 bits) If you don’t know how to determine that please follow this guide first: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/827218/how-to-determine-whether-a-computer-is-running-a-32-bit-version-or-64

Afterwards just install either file and the problem should go away.

Incidentally if you get another problem like missing QT5 widget files, you have to unblock the ZIP file and extract the contents with administrative rights.

If you have any other issue let us know and we’ll try to assist you.

@blackswanndraws I used to have this problem I reinstalled pencil2d and it started working again but this can sometimes be caused by
1 making a short cut on the desk top (when I used my old pc I made a short cut to pencil 2d and it did not work)
2 downloading the wrong pencil2d are you sure you picked right between the 64 bit and the 32 bit

they are things that can cause the problem

-pickle :smirk: hope this helps

1 Like

@JoseMoreno @Super_pickle
Thank you both! I finally got it working, thank you so much! <3

1 Like

No problem i’m glad you have it working again

@blackswanndraws Glad to hear that. If you have any other issue let us know in a new thread. I’m solving this one now.

I have formated my PC and from windows 8 improved in windows 10, but now every time it pops and error missing msvcp140.dll file, what should I do how to find from which program is this fille missing, do I need to reinstall again the Win 10 or what else can I do.

Run the vcredist file in your Pencil2D directory. That will install the software you are missing from Microsoft. After that you should be able to start Pencil2D normally (you may or may not need to restart your computer for the changes to take effect).

@c5002 The correct answer was provided by scribblemaniac in the previous message. This is usually a problem with vanilla / new windows installs but it’s a missing windows file that not just Pencil2D uses.

You don’t need to reinstall Windows 10, and actually it’s weird that such file is needed if you’re using Windows 10. Are you sure you have the latest version of Pencil2D as well? It should be 0.6.5

I have never before experienced that problem while instaling the win 10 but now I found the msvcp140.dll downloaded and try to fix the problem but I’m doing something wrong because the error still appears, I will read the comments in the beginning of this post maybe I will find the problem and fix it.

@c5002 As mentioned before the solution is to install the component with an official microsoft installer. Pencil2D bundles this, you dont’ need to download anything from suspicious third party sites .

The bundled installer comes inside the Pencil2D folder after you unzip the program folder. it’s called vc_redist.exe

But if you want you can also download it from the official microsoft website. Please read the pinned responses for this issue: VCRUTIME140_1.ddl was not found // VCRUNTIME140.dll / MSVCP140.dll Missing? Help

After i open vc_redist.x86 i click i agree and then install, then it takes a permission i give it and after sometime setup faild and unspecified error

pls help me :pray::pray::pray::cry::cry:

@mynameissplayer Please look at the solutions here: https://appuals.com/fix-0x80240017-unspecified-error/. Based on your screenshot it looks like you may be using Windows 7 in which method 2 would be applicable to you, but it really could be an issue with any of the things listed on that page.

Hello. I have the same problem while installing Pencil 2D, may I know if the vc_redist.x64 is safe?

It is made by Microsoft and is safe.

2 Likes