Nightly Builds

Nightly build October 14 2013 is out.

Hi @Matt!
(long time :))

Thank you for the work.

First impression:

1. Pencil opens with the camera layer as active. So no stroke can be applied till a drawing layer is selected.
  2. Pencil crashes every time I want to open a saved file (Main Menu-> File-> Open). The saved file opens normally with the previous version.

Really good new features in this build. Thank you developers. You are class A!

Hi @Cirus!

Your new tools the Smudge feature are just very very nice indeed. You have just improved it a lot from the last version. Now with the liquid one, are just the perfect couple !

I am not sure where it is the Grid feature. I was not able to work with it since it is greyed out on the main menu.
I was also not able to find out the Crop reference you mentioned here.

The TimeLine is more intuitive when we add a new layer to the top.

Thanks for the good work and effort!

@Matt

EDITED:
Even selecting New (Main Menu-> File-> New), the camera layer will be active as default.

I am not sure about the PEN feature “Feather” on previous Builds since I was not being able to test them, but now it is disable. The only tool using the Feather capabilities is the Brush tool.

I am believing to think that it will be easy for the developers to restart it to its previous behaviour since I think it is going to be useful along with the Size tool, both working with the Pen.

My idea.
Nice work

This colateral “bug” seems related to layer ordering.

I’ll take a look at it.

Thank you so much @kaiko

@kaiko
Default opening layer is now bitmap.

@kaiko

I agree, pencil feather setting should be enabled and, maybe, should it allow a smaller range than that of the brush tool, according to its usage.

BTW, I could see the feather slider enabled in older versions but I never saw it working, am I right?

I’ve just reverted the layer ordering to the old state with no success, it always happens, when loading old and new files! I have no more clues except that it was working 3 days ago, sorry!

Thanks for your great help on Pencil Development @kaiko !

@kaiko

I get a crash of latest source version on Linux when trying to open one of my older pencil 0.4 files, which opens with no trouble in the 0.5.3 binary release, so the crash apparently isn’t limited to Windows nightly. I’m afraid i have very few pencil projects to test, and that one was the only one that was causing a crash, so it’s not much of a verification.

@Cirus,
You welcome! Embracing one idea is the way to power our dreams.
The bitmap layer should be the default layer, as you already fixed. Thanks

@Cirus, @mikshaw
About the crashing part, when loading old or new projects the crash is constantly happening.
I have lots of projects (we can call old ones, about 2 month ago or so) and Pencil keeps crashing when loading any of them.
@Cirus, if it was working 3days ago, maybe another developer (?) changed something on the code. Previous version (two month ago) was working fine.

About the “Feather” setting, if I remember correctly, I had tested the feather setting on all the three main tools (pen, pencil, brush) and it was working fine with the Pen and Brush tool, and using your new resizing keyshortcut. With the Pencil-tool, the feather-slider was showed as “active” (you can actually move the slide manually) but it will not show any change on the strokes, is like disable.
That is why I once asked @Matt to disable for good the Pencil-tool feature (I think it is of no use to have this setting, but of course I am not sure about this, maybe someone will need the pencil-tool stroke a little “feather” for some tastes)

I recently discovered a pencil crash when opening .pcl files and I’ve just fixed it. Once I got familiarised with the related code, I took advantage to fix its loader.

The new updates will be available in the next nighly-build ( hopefully soon, two or three weeks ) but if you’re in a hurry and have available time to clone and compile the source code, you can have a try from this Pencil2D fork:

At this date, the repository contains exactly the same content as Matt’s (chchwy) repository except for the new fixes.

By the way, evolutivemedia/pencil is just an experimental repo, which I use exclusively for Matt Chang project so, do not create forks from it, please.

Thank you !

It was my fault, that Pencil is crashing during open file process, Cirus has fixed this,

thanks Cirus

we have to wait for new nightly build to get Pencil version acting well.

Several hours ago I have posted my build on this forum topic started by @reaction39,

This build is based on @Cirus fixed source.

This built Pencil.exe you can download here.

lol im late, but I just downloaded this Oct 14 build, jesus, just what I’m looking for, especially for an upcoming animation! Keep up the great work!

Nightly build Nov 26 2013 is out.

Nice work @chchwy

(very promising what you have achieved, with the help of @Jose and the rest of the developers.
The “artistic” tools added recently are way better and work with that idea of doing some “art” (retouching/colouring, etc…)

Glad to see new users offering their time to give you some help.

Excellent!

By the way, the Pencil tool behaves a lot better :))

I don’t know if it is just me, but the quality of the actual pencil and pen have gotten more rigid and less smooth (making the drawings look not as well drawn) in the last few nightly builds (last two I think).

It could just be me though. I just thought I’d mention it, but I know there isn’t really any real issue with it I suppose, I have an older version (cannot tell which at the moment) that has a smooth drawing that I use and then I can switch to the newest one to add some other details.

The new features that you have added are pretty good though!

Nightly build Dec 9 2013 is out.

You’re right, @tbremise . Pen tool quality became sightly worse in the last few versions.

I’m concerned about this issue.