Huge bug: Pencil won't work properly, creates tons of extra lines. PLEASE HELP!

Sure thing! Where would you like me to send the video to for you? And I’ve got the right version all checked and set up. I’ve got Krita downloading so I’ll tell you the results of that when I get em.

@GlaucousLace You can upload the video on youtube.com or anonymously on streamable.com and paste a link here :slight_smile:

Here you go!

Pencil2D is a perfect program for casual animating and it’s free! It has all the basics of raster drawing and animating. It’s essentially a digital flip book. people do create magnificent things with it.

I’ve found my xp-pen deco pro drawing tablet is much easier to use, though a mouse isn’t impossible. The tablet I have can also feel sensitivity, which I don’t believe you can mimic with a cursor. One thing you can do just as well with a mouse is pixel art!

Hey, I was wondering if this has been solved at all, I have windows 10 using pencil 2d and all of my lines are doing that strange jagged thing? it doesn’t seem to be changed by speed or pressure at all. Only happens with my wacom cintiq, which has up to date drivers installed. It doesn’t happen if I use my mouse.

Recorded the line drawing to show what I mean here

@TragicPhoenix Hi. Thank you for taking the time to report this. Unfortunately we don’t know what happened with Wacom, but this is a problem introduced by their drivers at least 6 months ago or even before that, specifically on Windows 10 (though it also seems to happen on certain macOS versions).

In some reported cases users have been able to fix this by turning the Windows Ink option off completely as there seems to be a conflict with both Windows touch screen / Ink drivers and Wacom products, not only the Cintiq.

You can watch this video to see how to turn off windows ink for Cintiq screen tablets (it’s short, under 2 min)

Also try to make a separate application profile on your wacom driver window to turn off windows ink and also to force the drivers to recognize Pencil2D as an application with special needs.

Unfortunately my wacom intuos pro broke and I don’t have Windows 10 so I can’t help the devs test this, but we’ll be on the lookout for fixes for sure.

1 Like

@JoseMoreno Thanks for the fast reply :slightly_smiling_face: I already tried turning wondows ink off for pencil 2d in the wacom settings, it didn’t make a difference. The weird thing is that I can get the regular lines at random points with the cintiq?

All still seems to work fine on my intuos at least

@TragicPhoenix Does turning off the stabilizer in the brush options affect it at all?

Did this issue ever get resolved? I recently downloaded the pencil 2D, after watching some youtube clips on Pencil 2D ordered a Wacom tablet, which arrived today (jolly exciting!), to alas this very same issue. Mac 10.11.6, Pencil2D v0.6.4, Wacom Intuos CTH-490. Any additional information to the above, very helpful thread, would be gratefully received. Thank you

Have you downloaded and installed the latest drivers for your tablet (https://www.wacom.com/en-us/support/product-support/drivers)? It might sort of work without them on mac, but you will want to install the drivers to have the best compatibility.

Thanks for your response yes, I have downloaded it fresh today, the latest for the Mac OS level, Driver 6.3.37-3, the Wacom the Wacom desktop center says this is up to date. It is precisely the same issue GlaucousLace had in July 19.

@GlaucousLace, did you ever get this fixed? I am experiencing the same issue now. Thank you.

@PShooter Hi. I’m afraid, we have not been able to find a way to reproduce this in the few years that this started to happen. The only pattern we’ve found is that it’s linked to CTH and some Cintiq wacom tablet models, as well as MacOS 10.11 and under which unfortunately for Apple themselves are considered legacy versions by now.

This legacy status also affects the foundation technology Pencil2D uses for handling input, graphics and more (Qt Framework) because they are forced to deprecate macOS versions at the same rate Apples deprecates them (since they are the ones that supply them with the bridge tech to develop for macOS in the first place)

So, what i’m trying to say is that, we will surely look into it, but we’ve had this issue ever since Apple started deprecating “snow leopard” (10.6) and your version “el capitan” (10.11) has been no exception to this problem.

At this point, If @scribblemaniac or any other developer is available to look into it, I’d like to ask if you’re willing to test future development builds aimed at legacy macOS versions with their help to see if it’s possible to fix this since none of us have an older macOS version to test.

Considering that newer versions of Qt framework bring fixes and changes to the input handling, we are in a bit of a tough spot since at some point we too will be forced to deprecate most versions of macOS support, or at least that’s my impression.

Of course I’m saying all this by myself right now, but let’s wait for them to chime in to let us know if this is something that is possible for them to look into or if it’s simply a lost battle.

In case of the latter i’ll gladly recommend some alternative programs so you can at least continue animating while having minimal issues.

Thanks @JoseMoreno, understood, it is a shame because Pencil2D is soooooo good! and easy to use, everything is just trying to temp me to get a new mac! But my in house approver won’t sign it off :slight_smile: Trying to get to grips with OpenToonz, where the pen works but the UI is a lot more involved.

@PShooter Oh no, please don’t upgrade your computer if your financial situation doesn’t allow you to. I didn’t meant to imply you should upgrade either. Apologies if it seemed like that.

Opentoonz is also made with Qt, so is Krita, but perhaps test them and let us know if they work better for you. Maybe they have a specific way of circumventing these issues we haven’t been able to ascertain. That’s really the advantage of having a foundation backing up the project vs a group of volunteers like in our case heh :laughing:

For devs
I think Opentoonz uses Qt 5.9, but I’m not sure since for the new fork Tahoma2D, I was told they use 5.9.9

@JoseMoreno, I would if I could… I think there is a lot of newer tooling that is only for higher OS level, which would require a new mac unfortunately. I am mainly trying to make animations to put music, so the hunt for a open source program that is user friendly and easy to learn led me to Pencil2D.

If you know OpenToonz, I am using it right now, and the paint brush and paint tin, work fine, as you’d expect, with the wacom tablet and pen. The settings to change colours and sizes etc, is another matter, but that it user education thing :slight_smile:I am working on that.

With regards to Krita, I could not find a Mac download version compatible with Mac OS 10.11.6.

1 Like

@PShooter Yeah Krita had a similar issue to ours, so they went at started deprecating older OS right off the bat.

As for Opentoonz, I’ve used it, so your comment helps to shed some light on this issue.

If you want a simpler opentoonz version (in terms of UI) there’s now Tahoma2D https://tahoma2d.org/download/ which also comes as a portable app.

They are trying to make opentoonz more approachable and accelerate the development, which is usually supervised by a japanese team with some community exceptions.~

EDIT: Sorry I didn’t see they specifically ask for 10.13 :pensive:

Here we have a list of various alternative animation apps Pencil2D the simplest ones I’ve seen are the browser based WickEditor and if you want to try an alpha version before retail of a new software look for Animation Paper too which replaces the old PAP (Pencil Animation Paper, which should also work)

Thanks @JoseMoreno yes just jumped on it to have a look and * macOS 10.13 or a later version, really appreciate the time and thought though. I will have a look at the other right now. Cheers.

1 Like

@JoseMoreno, thanks for the comprehensive list of alternatives, just downloaded SketchBook and had a play in a FlipBook, looks pretty good to me. Thanks again.

1 Like