Hidden in 'plain sight'!

Sometimes things are hidden ‘plain sight’ that means that they’re not hidden, but some people who are not very observant won’t see them.

Look @ the animation below and see if you can spot it!

Tennis

The .pclx that generated the .GIF file above is the 1 below.

Tennis.pclx (18.6 KB)

I’ve examined the frames in the .GIF file and the conclusion that I’ve come to is the frames were grabbed from the frames displayed from the editor.

Have you discovered what the problem with the animation us yet?

There’s a horizontal thin blue line above the grass.

You notice it because our ancient ancestors lived on the African Savana, they’re survival depended on seeing slight differences in their surroundings. If they didn’t they might have hit eaten, by a larger animal, like a Tiger!

It’s the same that people use to solve puzzles where a drawing of say a mouse is hidden in say a photo or drawing of a road in a town!

The blue line is an artificact of the editing process, the grass was selected and the blue line goes all around it, but its most obvious at the junction of the grass and the sky.

If you don’t believe me, then load the .pclx into Pencil2D select the grass and examine the frames individually.

What we see, using our eyes, is controlled by Gastalt Psychology. This developed when mankind lived on the African Savana, an environment where bigger, faster animals like lions and tigers etc. saw us a food.

We developed the ability to recognise the presence of one of these carnivorous animals, by recognition of a small part of said animals.

Thus as a result a partial circle, say either a small gap, will be seen and interrelated by most humans as a circle.

When using vector graphics, including those within Pencil2D, you can fill an incomplete circle. To do this the shape, or more correctly the ‘path’ is selected a colour chosen and the paint bucket positioned inside the selected shape and the right mouse button clicked.

The shape filled will follow the line, and there will be a straight line between the two ends of the continuous line, humans have recognised as a ‘circle’.

Meet_Penny-2

In order in Pencil2D to enable different components of Penny’s face to be manipulated in different ways, it is necessary to draw them as different lines, technically called ‘paths’.

When she opens her mouth, her jaw drops. If we look at the two components of her face, illustration at the bottom of page, we see that they are formed of a line with a cap in it. When filled the edge, in the gap is a straight line.

I understand that for animators brought up on bitmapped drawing, this idea might be seen as strange, but this is the way that vector drawing and animation packages operate.

The Pencil2D file for this aniation is Meet_Penny-2.pclx (518.7 KB)

The illustration below is a screen capture image of the parts of Penny, with the top of the head raised, so you can see the components of the head shape separated.

Head_Components

1 Like