1080p Fullscreen, or 4K Fullscreen- 16:9 Aspect Ratio

What’s going on, I have been using Pencil2D since June of 2020, and I’ve noticed how clean & smooth it is. It’s not like Krita or Opentoonz, where there is a lot of noise & extra features that are unnecessary, but it gets straight to the point. Also, if you have a slower laptop or PC, it’s really smooth and doesn’t lag unlike those ones. You don’t need to have ffmpeg to export, because it does it right away. One thing that I feel that this program lacks though, if the ability to have aspect ratios. The default aspect ratio is 4:3, when in actuality, all modern screens are presented in 16:9. It would be amazing if we can have ratio presets when we launch up the app where it says “Choose aspect ratio for project: 16:9 or 4:3.” I’m sure I’m not the only person requesting/thinking about this. And I know you might say “well adjust the screen size when you export.” But I tried that, and it just stretches the picture. Just an idea!

@Jordan_River_Studios Hi. Welcome to the forum and thank you for your input.

Well actually since version 0.6.5 (currently at 0.6.6) you have the ability to create your own presets. For more info check out this feature video related to that:

For more mini-videos explaining the newly introduced features please take a look at the dedicated playlist on the official YT channel:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkxWc7jmDfJwnLEtEpJYA6k5xFb_TVdpb

I’m sure I’m not the only person requesting/thinking about this. And I know you might say “well adjust the screen size when you export.” But I tried that, and it just stretches the picture. Just an idea!

When someone explains to adjust your screen size, it’s not at export, but to literally change the camera size. To do this you have to double click the camera layer.

The thing is, changing the camera output field is akin to changing the output video resolution size.

However changing the output size in the export dialog is akin to upscaling or downscaling a video, as such it will stretch an image as you have experienced, but this is mostly recommended to create lower resolution previews rather than upscaling.

The upscaling will be useful once the vector tools are completed (when you upscale vector layers you won’t get pixelation).

With all that said, It could be interesting to have a predetermined list of resolutions handy for both the camera layer and the export dialog :thinking: we’ll try to keep note of this, thanks!

Thank you, I’ll be sure to try it out. I never touched the camera layer cuz I heard the camera layer & vector layers have gone unfinished for a bit so I’ll try tinkering with it for a bit. But yes, I still do believe we should have a preset at the launch to choose between 16:9 or 4:3 so we won’t have a stretched image, and it will be a correct resolution. I appreciate it!

@Jordan_River_Studios No problem. The vector layer is surely a work in progress, but the camera layer is an essential part of the software. We have a guide specifically for that as well:

I still do believe we should have a preset at the launch

Once you review the feature I mentioned, there’s an option to “Ask on startup” if that’s something you value. Other people simply don’t like it so there are three possible choices to suit most needs and by default it will load the preset configured as “default” on the preference options dialog.

1 Like

I forgot to mention something that could be relevant as well. Depending on your operating system you can also visit the %APPDATA% or application data folder and browse to the presets folder.

The actual presets list is stored in the presets.ini file (on windows), and for example if you configure all your presets once, but you have to switch computers (with matching operating systems), you can take this file and replace it in on a different computer.

Under Windows10 you can go to: C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Pencil2D\Pencil2D\presets to find the aformentioned file.

Lol I’m not too good with files & configuration or tech besides “getting to the point of things.” So I appreciate the advice and I will be sure apply it when I work. It’s pretty time consuming-- animating.

1 Like

Animation certainly is time consuming. Fortunately creating new presets is meant to be visual. I only mentioned the file option in case you end up with a hefty amount of work presets over time, that you might need to migrate.

At some point we could argue that this could also be a potential improvement for the future in case you want to import preset settings between Pencil2D versions on different machines. I’ll note that down as well just in case :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.