When I export my pixel art it becomes blurry

I have made an Image 16 by 16 but when I export it it becomes completely blurry and not pixel like at all, how can I fix this?

This topic was automatically closed 42 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

@asdf Hi, sorry this slipped under our radar. If you double click on the camera, you can change the dimensions of the output size and thus the resulting image.

As a tip, do not use the File > Export > Image > width & height options since this will upscale or downscale the images or video, and since Pencil2D lacks image processing algorithms it will become blurry.

If you want a 16 x 16 pixel image, you need to work at a camera size that represents that or else the exported image will not have the quality you are expecting.

If you want to upscaling a pixel art image I recommend using a different progrma like Krita, and use the nearest neighbour algorithm

This video discusses why the blurryness happens

This other video is a krita tutorial on scaling images properly.

An extra tip is that you should NEVER upscale or downscale in uneven increments.

For example your image would be considered at 100% scale regardless of the size you made it first.

So with that in mind, upscaling the image from 100% to 255% is a 2.55 factor increase, which will damage the pixel proportion and make any square look rectangular. Only upscale or downscale in full increments that are proportional so from 100% go to 200%, 300%, 600% etc.

If you want to downscale for whatever reason, always make sure you’re dividing by whole numbers that are divisible by powers of 2 (i.e 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, etc) . That means dividing by half 1/2 (50% the original size), quarter 1/4 (25%) 1/8 (12.5%) and so on.