Visual difference between vector & bitmapped produced animated GIF!

It is simply an exercise and the associated assignment I give to my students, that I have chosen to share with Pencil2D users.

I have not picked a fight with anyone, I have just made a few observations about how Pencil2D works.

Overall I like Pencil2D, it is easy to use, both for myself and my students.

I do not want a fight either. I do not mean for any of this to be an attack and appreciate your cooperativeness with providing information and project files.

As a bug report, my goal was initially to try and reproduce your issue. Once I had the information necessary to come to the conclusion that the “unclean edge” was not caused by Pencil2D but rather was a part of your drawing, I only tried to explain to you the cause of the issue so that you can avoid the problem in the future. The provided information may also be useful for other people who come across this post with a similar issue in the future. Finally it helps to avoid any misinformation concerning the vector/bitmap layer types and video/gif exporting.

The reply below, is an earlier responce from the Pencil2D developer. The first 4 images, shown below are scribblemanac’s responce. I’ve had to upload the responce in 4 files, because when I attempted to upload the reply as a single image, the image on screen was very tiny and the text was unreadable!

If you read it carefull and then look at the final screen grab, you’ll see the problem.

I have done more experimentation since and the result if now have a better idea of the nature of the issues involved.

With the graphic, the background image, in this case the road, verge, the house and the tree, the right hand edge of this image, if it is not a vector based image will need to be exactly inline with the right hand edge of the stage. This is the ligher area, which is surrounded by a darker area, outside of the animation stage. In the screen image above, all areas not drawn on, will be shown as the checkerboard pattern.

Drive_Car-3-2.pclx (978.4 KB)

Load the .PCLX file above and examine frames 47 and 48. Frame 47 the background has not been cropped and if all background framesare like this there will be a darker strip down the right hand edge.

in frame 48 the image has been cropped and the right hand edge of the background image exactly lines up with the right hand edge of the animation stage. If the background frames are like this, then the darker strip down the right hand edge will not exist.

Feel free to export this project as a animated GIF or MP4 file to prove this to your satisfaction.

Move_Car-3T-2

I realise that what i have done, is not a solution but a ‘work around’, but it is a solution, that removes the dark strip down the right hand edge of the animated GIF and the MP4 file output.

Drive_Car-3T-6.pclx (1.0 MB)

The output from the above file is shown below.

Move_Car-3T-6

But you are most welcome to verify it, by outputting the project as an animated GIF or MP4 file.

In summig up the background image can overlap the top, left or bottom edges of the animation stage, but not the right hand edge!

The 2 images below are of the process to crop the right hand edge of the background.

Crop_Background-1

The result of the cropping process, with Pencil2D.

Crop_Background-3

The image moved into the final position, so that when the project is output, the desired results is acheived, that is no dark strip down the right hand edge!

Crop_Background-4

Selection_Area

I think that the above graphic i drew earlier is a true respresentation of how Pencil2D see’s the background image.

After further investigation, I have now come to the conclusion that the problem, in the situation described in previous entries, was the fact that the background image was not rectangular, but irregular, due to the shape of the tree near the right hand edge of the image.

If the background image was rectangular, and had a height as defined in the Camera layer or greater, also the width was as defined in the Camera layer or greater, then the problem of the positioning of the area incorporated would have been correct.

The images below, show that a background image, which is rectangular and the Camera dimensions or greater, works correctly.

Overlap_Edge-2S

Screen_Grab

Because I am a traditionally trained artist, i did not foresee the problem because I expected that Pencil2D would trim the edges of the image.

I then increase the size of the background image and the problem disappears.

This file is the project file, as modified Move_Car-4.pclx (1.0 MB)

Move_Car-4

I assume that, the problem was caused by the irregular edge of the background image and the size being very close to the Camera layer dimensions.

The image shown below, is was stored as layer 002.001.png, the image size was 1816 x 1003. The white area is transparent, but when imported into discuss.pencil2D.org is displays as white.

This topic was automatically closed 42 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.