Video is imported off-center

Almost every time I import a video as frames in the timeline, the frames appear off-center, even if the video dimensions are exactly the dimensions of the canvas. I have solved this in the past by manually moving each frame to the center of the canvas, but it is hard, since every time I use the selection tool to select an area larger than the video frame, the remaining blank area is filled with black for some reason, and it makes it impossible to drage the frame exactly to the center:

bug-report

I’ve looked in the Preferences for any video import settings, but I can’t find the way to fix this.

Hi Sagpi

Unless you’ve moved the camera, if the video matches the dimensions of the camera, then it should be correct. I’ve tested this with version 0.6.6 and 0.7.0

There are unfortunately no settings to speak of to change this right now. In the future we hope to bring the same “Position relative to” dialog to the other import types, so it’s more consistent.

Regarding the selection being filled with black, could you try our latest 0.7.0 release and let us know if it still happens there?

All right, this fixed my problem. Besides, thank you for introducing me to the Camera function! I’ve been using Pencil2D for years and never even realized it was there. It’s going to be so helpful.

Excellent, also yes the camera functionality has been there a long time but in release 0.7.0 we reworked it, making it an object you can manipulate using the move tool, rather than an implicit behavior that happens when you move the view around. We’ve also added additional features that you can read about sometime in the near future.

Also just to be clear, when you wrote “this fixed my problem”, what exactly did you refer to?

I was referring to the “video importing off-center” problem. I just created a new frame in the Camera layer for the duration of the clip and adjusted the view so the clip would be centered. The black rectangle thing still happens, but having solved the initial issue I don’t think It will be a problem, since It only happens when I try to move imported video frames, and not with other selections in the Bitmap layer.

Thanks for clarifying.

Have you considered trying the project out in the latest stable release 0.7.0, there’s a good chance that the selection turning black has been fixed and if it hasn’t, then we can always create an issue, so it can be fixed in a future release.

You can find the latest release here Download | Pencil2D Animation

This topic was automatically closed 42 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.