Using frame range crashed Pencil2D

Hey there!
I’m about half way through the animation and I have a voice over on top of it. I don’t know if this is a thing, but I can only go up to 240 frames. Is there a way I can make the frames closer together but have same amount of time inbetween them? Or can I somehow expand the 240 frames?

Thank you,
Sydney

Ok,
so I was looking around the program to see how to make more frames and I clicked on this button that allowed me to make a number go higher (below timeline heading, and it was set to 10) After I clicked on it, yellow appeared on the first 10 frames of the timeline and I couldn’t make that disappear or get out of it and actually continue on with the animation. And then it unexpectedly crashed. Is there a way I can restore what I just worked on? Sorry for all of these questions, I am not in a rush, it is just there is really no other way to find out!

Sydney

@jackyjess Hey. You have to increase the timeline length in the rpeferences by going to Edit > Preferences > Timeline > Timeline size in frames

Regarding the “yellow” thingy that is just a “range” selector, that allows you to playback for the amount of specified frames, that is from 1 to 10 or the numbe ryou type in. It worries me that it crashed though.

Recover the work? Well if you didn’t save your work previously then I’m afraid not in an easy way, i’ll talk about that in the end of this post.

Pencil2D has an “autosave” feature that you can activate on Preferences by going to Edit > Preferences > Files > Enable Autosave. It should be enabled by default, but it will only start working once you have saved the file for the first time, although I have to confirm with the developers if it’s working as expected.

IF you saved earlier, but you can’t open your file back, or it is empty this is what we refer as a “crash-wipe”, which shouldn’t be happening, in such case then I urge you to upload the file you did save and try to give a detailed explanation about the process you followed before it crashed.

So my advice is to save as often as you can while maintaining a backup file (a copy of your file) in a different folder or something.

In the FAQ we have a few pointers on how to avoid crashing as much as possible and to maintain a healthy and professional habit of file handling which not only works with Pencil2D but with any kind of animation software.

Please read it carefully:

https://www.pencil2d.org/pencil2d/faq/#pencilprob

NOW, regarding how to get files back in the worst case scenarios. This is only if you have a saved file. If you didn’t save then I’m afraid you’d have to redo your work, sorry :frowning:

Anyway there are two ways right now:

1. If you had already saved your file but it’s not opening for whatever reason I did this video to learn how to open the PCLX files. This works in any platform but I have windows, so you’d have to use a software called pea zip for mac
  1. If the previous step doesn’t work please try to do the following (This MIGHT work even if you didn’t save!)

a) In the Finder Menu, under GO choose “Go to Folder” you can also use the shortcut: Shift + CMD + G.
b) In the Go To Folder dialog box enter: ~/Library/Caches.
c) Look for a Pencil2D folder. Enter the Folder. Organize the files by "last modified"
d) Look for a folder with the name of your saved file.
d2) If you hadn’t saved, look for a folder called "Default"
e) make a copy of this folder on your desktop or a preferred folder.

Note: Most of the time images will be lost, but this will allow you to get some of them back, though bear in mind that they will not be aligned, since Pencil2D grabs the “RAW” image and then positions it with coordinates found in the PCLX file. It’s like an address book to find it’s way to put the stuff in a correct order. So if the file becomes damaged then it won’t be able to accurately find it’s place so you’d have to reposition it again.

I hope this helps. Also I’m going to make a separate thread and move these replies because this became a huge support thread inside a different topic. Just so you know the thread will be moved.