Using a Mannequin to draw an animation sequence

The Mannequin allows the animator to experiment without having to do any detailed drawings, to determine how many frames etc. are required to acheive the required result.

Mannequin

Once the animator is happy with the movements, zoom etc. they can create a new layer for the final drawings to be created.

Charlie_II

My thanks to Mary, she created a character called Charlie using only a sequence of straight lines. I used her inspiration to create a simplified Mannequin. This new Mannequin is much easier to draw and manipulate. Particularly when the perspective is different from straight on in 2D mode.

The file below is the Pencil2D. pclx file for this project.

Charlie_II.pclx (250.2 KB)

1 Like

Seen in a different light!

This is an interesting technique because it allows the lighting within an animation to be easily adjusted as required.

The above illustration shows the Alpha Channel setting for the first frame within the filter sequence.

Light-2

The darkness of the filer overlay is however affected by the brightness of the screen in the playback device!

The Pencil2D file used in this project is Light-2.pclx (54.9 KB)

You’ll note that the drawings in this project are vector drawings, but the technique works just as well with the bitmapped drawings, but the files will be signigicantly larger.

If you follow my example and have the background as 1 layer and the overlay on another this will keep the files sizes managable.

Have you seen this academic paper?

It about automatically adding shadow to a drawing, in this case a vector drawing, but the same techniques could be applied to a bitmapped drawing.

The user would load the drawing, specify the light direction and the software would provide the shadows as an overlay layer.

1 Like