Playing with Pencil2D tools to see what could be achieved

Man

The attached gif file was the result of 60 minutes from the idea of a new animation method to what you see!

I’ve used stop motion techniques.

Neat!

I think you are trying out cut-out animation? South Park is a great example of this.

Animation and other art forms are advanced by trying new techniques and learning from the results. We shouldn’t just simply copy the work of other artists.

This piece is the Animation equivalent of a page in a sketch book!

Animation and other art forms are advanced by trying new techniques and learning from the results.

But you aren’t doing anything new here?

We shouldn’t just simply copy the work of other artists.

And I didn’t say you are copying others. You are just using the same technique and there is nothing wrong with that.

This piece is the Animation equivalent of a page in a sketch book!

Uh. What? I don’t understand your analogy here.

Do you mean this is just a proof of concept? A prototype?

When I say trying something new, I’m using Pencil2D in a way that I haven’t done before!

I’m doing stop frame animation, which developed from ancient Chinese Shadow Puppet Threatre.

When talking about a sketch book exercise, I’m experimenting, with Pencil2D to see what I can acheived and it’s not intended to be a fully fledged project in it’s own right!

That is not what you said. You said:

You are not making any indication that you are trying something you haven’t done before. More like, you have done something that was never done before.

Not to mention, I didn’t see any animation work you have done before. This apparently is your first animation. And, by definition of being first, you haven’t done it this way before.

And, Shadow Puppetry has been done in animation before, both traditional and digital. The Adventures of Prince Achmed, one of the very first feature length animated films, is an example of this. An example on the digital side is the shadow puppet section of Sita Sings The Blues.

And yes, this animation is cut-out animation; it just take the style and aesthetics of shadow puppetry.

And even then, you aren’t doing that. You are doing it the way South Park did. I mean look: Blame Canada - South Park: Bigger Longer & Uncut. And South Park isn’t the only one doing this; it is just the most familiar.

I really don’t understand why you refuse to identify your animation as cut-out animation or that you are using their techniques, because that is what it is and that is exactly what you are using.

Well, full fledged or not, cut-out animation is cut-out animation.

Cheers, It’s interesting to see some discussion on this topic but I think focusing on the precision of certain terms is derailing the conversation a bit.

First off, in my attempt to mediate between opinions and facts, let me state that it is widely regarded that cut-out animation is stop motion animation.

Just as puppet-mation, is specifically stop motion with puppets, hand drawn animation is stop motion with paper based drawings, Cut-out animation is stop motion with paper cut elements and so on.

Along those lines most of the animation techniques in film history have a common root in stop-action / stop-motion techniques developed once the first movie cameras were widespread due to the popularity of early cinematography tools and optic toys.

With that premise it’s important to consider that film was just the medium used to hold the imagery, but the creation process of said imagery is what changes the nature of the technique and gives their actual name.

When I read user AnimatorElisa’s comments on how they are doing something that has not been attempted before in Pencil2D I’m inclined to think that such claim can be valid if we relate it to the software itself, mainly because this program is a tool originally meant to create animation only via sequential drawings made by hand through digital means.

Cut-out animation or camera-to-timeline stop motion animation was never considered to be the main focus of the software. Of course that doesn’t mean you can’t still try them out at your leisure, and even when it does not have dedicated tools to aid the animation production with such techniques, people have been trying out different applications of the tool for some time now.

I’ve personally seen users creating complete digital paintings, “pixel art” for games, and even (surprisingly) real state presentations with Pencil2D only, all of those which would be considered to be far outside of the realm of what’s “meant” to be done with it, and I get that the challenge and feeling that comes with accomplishment is a source of entertainment for them.

Currently I feel there’s been a mild misunderstanding between some of the direct comments and counter arguments, so I ask both to please consider that despite everyone’s best intentions this might escalate unnecessarily.

As such before then, my honest suggestion is to just agree to disagree, sincerely greet the hard work and simply move on. I hope my intent and intervention has been reasonable and I wish you both a good evening :wave:

You are just saying Animation is Stop-Motion. You are just twisting the definition here.

Along those lines most of the animation techniques in film history have a common root in stop-action / stop-motion techniques developed once the first movie cameras were widespread due to the popularity of early cinematography tools and optic toys.

This is kinda wrong. It seems you assume that animation developed with the advent of films/motion pictures which is blatantly false. Animation existed long before there where films. The early animations ( from things like Phenakistiscope and Zoetrope, and of course, the flip-books which many early film animators says their are inspired from) are clearly Hand Drawn and not Stop Motion. To say that animation itself have roots in stop-motion techniques is clearly wrong.

As such before then, my honest suggestion is to just agree to disagree, sincerely greet the hard work and simply move on. I hope my intent and intervention has been reasonable and I wish you both a good evening

Yeah. But at least give us proper facts.

Thank you for your comment. I think that the other comments, by the other person, were negative & totally unhelpful!

Oh god an argument, please help me

My original reply to your post was:

And you respond with:

I give you praise and this is your reaction? You insinuated that I label your work as a copy and devoid of originality? Why?

Then I try to show your that cut-out animation is a great technique that has a long and deep history that remained relevant till now. From the very fist feature length animated film to popular modern shows. It created many highly regarded works.

I really don’t understand what you have against cut-out animation that you distance yourself from it. That you say that my attempts to relate your work to it and giving the technique the respect it deserve is being negative.

Like, seriously, make me understand. Why are you doing this? What is with cut-out animation that make you so averse to its name? That calling your work cut-animation feels like an insult to your work and being unhelpful?

Mother! Stop being so dramatic!

I’m just experimenting with Pencil2D to see what can be achieved.