Pencil2d mentioned in the Internet press

I happened to see Pencil2D was mentioned as their no.1 choice for the best free 2D animation software. Always happy to see Pencil2D in the limelight even if this site probably is not a huge and popular site but nevertheless you’re doing many things rights to be favoured, so take a moment to feel happy for yourselves for your hard work :slight_smile:

They managed to flip the P2D icon upside down though :rofl:

1 Like

@manu Haha, yeah it’s happened before. From unknown “listing” sites to popular creative websites, sometimes they target rather known or modestly downloaded projects to make a random list on specific topics to get traffic and SEO (search engine optimization) so when someone searches for the topics in their list, their pages will be brought up first. In other cases they tend to make comparison lists between their own product and the existing offer to showcase good will and competitive spirit (as well as their product features)

Obviously free publicity is nice, but they always have similar ulterior motives, but since they put us there out of their free will (and usually the reviews are fair) it kind of evens out I suppose :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

These are some examples of sites that have added Pencil2D to their blog articles in the past and that are currently on the first page and second of a simple google search when browsing for [top] animation software from newest to oldest:

company, institution or brand link date
wondershare - app makers focused on creative people, best known for filmora video editor 10 Best 2D Animation Software in 2021 [Free/Paid] feb 2021
gamedesigning - game design learning site We Highlight 20 Awesome 2D Animation Software Options (2021 Reviews) jan 2021
good firms - software & services browse platform Best Animation Software - Top Tools 2021 | GoodFirms jan 2021 (updated; list is older tho)
dessign - wordpress pro themes marketplace 15+ Best 2D Animation Software (Free & Premium 2021) jan 2021
oberlo - influencer entrepreneurship learning site 10 Best Free Animation Software Program to Make Marketing Videos in 2021 dec 2020
systweak blog - tech blogging 10 Best Animation Software for PC In 2021 dec 2020
skillshare - art skill learning site https://www.skillshare.com/blog/learn/the-9-best-animation-software-for-beginners-and-beyond oct 2020
freelancer - freelance job marketplace The 11 best free-to-download animation programs in 2020 | Freelancer.com sep 2020
pixpa - portfolio websites 15 Best Animation Software of 2021 (Free and Paid) jul 2020
g2 - tech listing & review platform https://www.g2.com/categories/animation jul 2020
renderforest branding platform Top 55+ Best Animation Software in 2021 | Renderforest jun2020
cgspectrum - college of digital art & animation What is the Best 2D Animation Software? Experts Choice | CG Spectrum may 2020
justinmind - prototyping tools company blog https://www.justinmind.com/blog/best-animation-apps/ apr 2020
FOSSLINUX Pencil2D : Open-source 2D animation app for Linux | FOSS Linux mar 2020
creative bloq - art & design blog https://www.creativebloq.com/features/top-animation-tools-for-digital-artists mar 2020
graphic mama - illustration stock site 12 Best Animation Software for Beginners (Premium, Free, and Online) 2019 ( supposedly it has been read 801,381 times)
sage animation - explainer video production 2D Animation Resource: The Complete List [2019] | Sage Animation 2019
guru99 tech learning site 15 BEST 2D Animation Software Free & Paid [Updated in 2021] ?
maryville university Animation Tools and Software for Digital Artists ?
premium beat Best FREE Animation Software — Ready to Download Right Now ?
industria animacion - Spanish portal for animation & creative industries Pencil2D: Programa Gratuito de Animación 2D 2020, 2019, 2018
Hipertextual - Spanish speaking tech, science & digital independent magazine Pencil2D, animación tradicional libre y gratuita 2018

And like that there are plenty more, though in 2020 we saw an explosion of listing, so much that as you may infer Pencil2D is included in at least 1 article per month ever since.

Edit: I recalled there have been specific articles entirely dedicated to Pencil2D which I added, like FOSSLINUX’s article, Industria Animación’s article from 2020 & Hipertextual’s article. There were even things like this tech show from Bulgaria Как да направим анимационен филм с безплатни компютърни програми? - Българска национална телевизия that showcased Pencil2D in national television. We’re glad Pencil2D has been reaching far and wide for sure! :blush:

:rofl:

Hahaha, ok I thought it was a bit strange that a photo retouching service would dive into animation all of the sudden, but it was well written so I wanted to believe it was sincere. I guess it is as you say ,free publicity is nice so as long as they write positives and not randomize some pros and cons, :thinking: but I wonder what problem they had with the Eraser that made them put it on the Cons list, erasing works fine for me :smiley:

Cool that you’ve put together a list of the majority of them. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@manu They probably were expecting it to erase through all layers or perhaps had the issue were frames were cached erroneously (which has been fixed over the recent nightly builds) either way we’ve sent them a query to correct some of the misconceptions and tell us about their eraser issue in case we can fix it (or to see if it is user error) :slightly_smiling_face: thank you for bringing this into our attention! it was nice to take a look at all the other articles, I truly had forgotten about some of them heheh.

I also find an article talk about Pencil2D: 12 Best Free and Paid 2D Animation Software in 2023 - pctechtest

1 Like

What about organising an annual competition, for animations under say 1 minute, made using Pencil2D. Entries to include a GIF, MP4 and a PCLX or PLC file.

1 Like

At first i thought you mean 1 minute time to draw an animation. And i really thought, this is a bad idea. :rofl:

Now, i think i got it finally. You mean 1 minute file lenght. Yes, that makes sense. :relieved:

Up to one minute. Or 1 minute max. 30 to 60 seconds per movie.