Pencil2D IRC

Hi! Sorry I’ve been so inactive lately (school’s kept me busy, along with my addiction to Fallout 3) but anyways, I was wondering if maybe we should try to revive the IRC channel. As it stands, the IRC channel is not registered by anyone, so there are no ops, and nobody talks there! I think having an active IRC community would be fantastic.

So I have two proposals:

1. Start using the irc channel #pencil2d instead of ##pencil2d (this way it will be easier to find, and we’ll have registered ops. To my understanding, pencil2d meets the requirements for a primary namespace channel on freenode)

2. Try to come on said IRC channel as often as possible, and preferably keep an eye on the chat in case anyone has anything to say.

Obviously I have no authority on this matter but I think it’d be great if we did this. Thoughts?

I think this is an excellent idea Nick @spark, it would be specially handy for the developers. There’s also the thought of having a “dedicated” problem solving chat, because it seems people write their doubts on the forum and despite our best efforts to answer them in time, they go away frustrated, lol.

Also I would like to propose to change the landing page a bit, it’s a bit sad that when you enter the pencil2d website you immediatly read the about page saying “<span style=“color: #444444; font-family: ‘Open Sans’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: italic;”>Pencil as it stands today is </span><strong style=“margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-size: 14px; vertical-align: baseline; color: #444444; font-family: ‘Open Sans’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-style: italic;”>dead<span style=“color: #444444; font-family: ‘Open Sans’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: italic;”>.</span>” Maybe we can swap it with the actual http://www.pencil2d.org/pencil2d/ so new people go immediatly to the download page instead to the about page…

Anyways Gordy @admin , and Matt @chchwy what do you guys think about the IRC proposal?

I come back to this thread.

There has been some great development activity lately. I think we are currently 4 devs contributing to Pencil so we will need a place to chat, exchange some ideas and organize ourselves.

IRC would be ideal for that matter.

Alternatively there are also applications such as Telegram, a text exclusive application i have been introduced to recently. It requires you to setup on your phone (IOS, Android and WP) first (at least when i registered ), but afterwards you can use the client on pc, mac or linux or even web. It offers privacy and group chats and it works really great. I don’t see the need for making an exclusive app to contact each other when there are so many options available already.

I’m on IRC almost everyday (not #pencil2D mind you) so i would be okay with that too, although that limits me to only being available when home.

What about Skype? If we had a Skype group then that’d be a great way to communicate.

Current Pencil2D IRC Channel: webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#pencil2d