Ooops, something went wrong, again. :/

My program is still not letting me save my project. It keeps saying “An error has occurred and your file may not have saved successfully.” Please help. I don’t want to have to repeat what happened 2 weeks ago.

~Melody

Error Display
Title:
Description:

System Info
Pencil version: 0.5.4
Build ABI: x86_64-little_endian-llp64
Kernel: winnt 10.0.16299
Product name: Windows 10 (10.0)

I have had this happen to me too, whenever that happens I just save it again with a new name and then it works. A bit annoying but I have not tested it with the new version that came out the other day so not sure if that would be worth a try.

It didn’t work for me, but thank you for trying.

It looks like you are using the old version of Pencil, maybe it doesn’t happen on 0.6.1 version. You could try and see what happens.

@MelodyAnimations You state that you are using version 0.5.4, the Pencil2D team no longer supports that version as it’s know to have a considerable amount of problems, which have already been resolved.

Please download the latest version. I can not stress this enough, a new maintenance version was released on monday 16th so please head over to http://pencil2d.org/download to get it.

Continuing to use the older version will not only cause you more grief, but also will prevent you from actually recovering the files in any way possible, since that version had the issue that once it crashed it would literally wipe clean the save file.

That’s weird. It would have been nice to know that there was an update/have it update automatically, but oh well. Guess I have to reconstruct my animation again. Hahahaha… :crazy_face:
JK. It shouldn’t take long.
Thanks again for your help.
~Melody

@MelodyAnimations :frowning: Well since this isn’t a big wig company project auto-updates are kind of difficult to implement. Normally we are announcing the updates on our social media plus on the “news” section of our website.

Also last time I told you to try and keep at least some backup files. It is important so you can avoid issues like this. To be honest I feel a bit guilty that we can’t help further, but it’s really difficult to create a way to recover those files without more people helping.

If you want why not try Krita (http://krita.org) ? its a bit more stable and has an autosave feature too, but the files don’t get corrupted as easily. And you can animate and paint in it. Then you can export an image sequence, import it into Pencil2D and then make the final video.