Newbie with Newbie Questions

@Sasheena Hi. Sorry to hear about the crash, however it’s unfortunate to say that in those circumstances it’s expected, because if you work on the program without saving at least once, everything will start piling up on the computer memory (RAM), and once it’s filled up due to using high resolution images and drawing for long periods of time, it will overflow and crash the program.

You have to save at least once to write the information to disk. To avoid these situations (which are uncommon believe it or not) you can just pre-save the blank file with a new name and along the autosave feature Pencil2D will only save those images that were changed afterwards. (The first time you save a lot of images it will take a long time by the way)

As for the disappearance of the images, this worries me since you’re running the Windows 10 OS. Recently we’ve been indeed dealing with a bug that makes the images disappear, however this is a very rare occurrence and 100% of the reports have been made under that OS. We used to have a similar problem that was related to the memory, but that was fixed, and right now it seems to be related to something else entirely.

Why i’m not fond of Microsoft, I don’t have anything against Windows 10, it’s just that I’ve been trying to reproduce this issue and not even with project that had a file size over 1 gigabyte, along 1500 frame at 1920 x1080 pixels, could i make Pencil2D either crash nor “dissappear” any frame. And I’m not a developer. I have a consumer computer, in fact much slower than your newly bought computer. However, I’m using Windows 7, so this “vanishing” problem seems to be specific of Win10 users and we’re still trying to find the root cause.

There was apparently a problem by moving many frames on the timeline, but I doubt this was the case for you, in this case it seems to me that it’s related to memory…

If you don’t mind me asking can you please provide me with the following information:

1. What is the current version of Pencil2D you’re using. Please go to the menu Help > About and press the Copy to clipboard button. The paste the information on your reply.
  2. Please read the following guide: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/21726/how-do-i-know-if-im-running-32-bit-or-64-bit-windows-answers/

And let us know what is your operating system bit architecture. I assume it’s 64bits, but one can never be sure with these machines.

If it is even remotely possible that you downloaded the 32bit version instead of the 64bit version, this would probably also contribute to the memory issue limiting how many of your imagescan “show up”, but I can’t be sure until we review this information.

Of course it’s also possible that there are other issues at hand, so if it’s ok with you could you share the file that had the images lost? You can use whatever cloud file storage you feel comfortable with. I normally use http://wetransfer.com as the server that was setup for these cases is not working due to some unforeseen issues. (if you want PM the link)

Next time you have a similar problem please also share a screenshot of the entire Pencil2D window, and if you want separate each issue on a different post so we can address each one separately. That way we can have a better idea of what might be happening and how to help you if it happens not to be a bug but just a misunderstanding of how the software works.

Lastly I’m going to share this guide to help you prevent data loss and to prevent the consequence of file corruption (which unfortunately happens often with Windows 10 due to a permissions problem, but we’re still investigating)