MyPaint version pre-alpha preview

@MrStevns I found a bug in mypaint brunch.

1. Open Pencil2D, activate both onionskin feature (with its colour feature also checked)
  2. Draw a line over 5 frames as a reference. Using the shortcut key [,/.] move the scrub to the first frame #1 going through all other frames. The onion skin will display the red onion skin tone of those lines.
  3. Now move the cursor to the last frame #5. There is no sign of the blue onion skin, despite it is checked.

Thanks for reporting guys :slight_smile:

New build coming up:

• Fixed temporary tool stopped working after merge with master
  • Fixed onion skin not updated after adding new frames, because cache wasn’t updated properly.

New bug, that could come from current mainline, both MyPaint branch and mainline are affected, not officialy stable.

I worked with the mypaint branch on a background, then i was out of memory (i should uprade my ram, or launch less things in //. pencil2d crashed I can’t open back the file, with the last main branch and mypaint branch. It works with stable version It open at 40% then crash. I can unzip the file, everything is fine, I opened it and save it again with stable version, to be sure to have everything clean, it still crash with last version. Another file, made with mypaint mainline git version, made both pencil2d mainline & mypaint crash.

here is my workfile

Neflier.pclx (1.1 MB)

Background image, made with MyPaint tools in pencil2d

1 Like
  • Fixed a bug that would crash the application because we’re checking layer before setting object.

@Popolon try again.

• Added new “active” settings entry to brush configurator, now you can conveniently see which settings are active in one place.
1 Like

Nice, work perfectly, thank you very much.

New noteworthy announcement

Brush Preview

First version of the new brush preview feature which has been cooking for the past few days. it will be now be much easier and faster to create custom brushes, since you will be able to see the result immediately.

• Big strokes can freeze UI periodically, though there’s a threshold so eventually you should be able change values again. Other measurements are also made to make sure that the UI stays as responsive as possible.

Mapping visuals

The mapping widget got a cosmetic overhaul. The palette is based on your system, so in my case the highlight is blue but it will adapt to whatever your theme is. The icons and layout is still WIP but I wanted to show some of the progress that’s been made lately.

Builds are as always available for windows

For the curious developers, the code is available on my branch:

2 Likes

Very nice improvement. I noticed, that at the same time we can draw (and undo with ctrl-z) on canvas, that is really interesting at the same time, see it in action, and to see what is the definition in the window. Thanks a lot :).

Hi @MrStevns

Here a suggestion for a small improvement on the user interface of the Color Box’s panel. What about to add a small color swatch next to the color wheel showing the actual color selected? We have a big swatch on the Color Inspector’s panel, but as I like to work only with the color wheel, it would be faster and more intuitive to just glance the real color near the wheel…

Happy new year all. I agree with the comment of Kaiko, I would ask for a similar feature to avoid to have the color inspector, I use rarely but still have the current active color displayed. I believe I tried to do animation at higher level than my own, and was discouraged by final result and push me toward a lot of procrastination. I will start back to simple animation, working more on MyPaint rendering, until I have more experience.

1 Like

So a simple test, with a little bit of texture. It worked fine, during the work.

1 Like

Hi again @MrStevns

I found an issue with the onion skin activated.

I just opened Pencil2D (my paint version, since the original version is working ok) and it happened to have the NextFrame onion skin activated (didn’t notice at first) and started laying lines of different colours over the canvas but at the end all colour lines showed a different colour, a darkest one.

Noticed that a middle grey colour was added to all colour lines. When selecting “white” on the colour wheel and then drawing a line on the white canvas, it will lay down a middle grey colour line.

I found a problem, not really a bug, that is also in mainline, with a different result: Need at least 2 frames, for example:

• Draw a frame
  • Draw a second frame Then
  • go to first frame and start to draw, press the shortcut to go to next frame (keyboard or tablet) => in case of mainline, the draw will be validated on the second one, in case of mypaint, version, it will draw a rectangle containing memory from elsewhere and added touch.

A good solution, could be to lock frame changes until draw is pressed. or (perhaps better ?) for user that want to draw on several frames in one touch, validate draw part, then change frame, and continue on the new frame ?

Hi @MrStevns I have just checked that you updated the mypaint version. Well, I am glad you didn’t forget about it ! :smile:

I found a very ugly bug :astonished:. Here the steps to reproduce it: Open pencil2dmypaint (your last version from day 7thMar) select any brush from the brush selector.

Go now to the configuration and select “Advance Settings” and than “Edit Brush”.

If you edit the name of the brush it will make the brush disappear from the Brush Selector window. I have to download the program once more because the brush was not found and it was a great brush :+1:

And thank you for maintaining it

@MrStevns After founding the previous bug I closed pencil2dMy paint, and it started with no brushes.

Ah yes I’ve noticed that the edit brush window doesn’t update properly too… will look into that.

In case you have no brushes, you can delete the brushes folder from appData/roaming/pencil2D/Pencil2D, when you’ve done that, try to open the application again

2 Likes

It worked fine! :+1:

“Ah yes I’ve noticed that the edit brush window doesn’t update properly too… will look into that” Glad to know that!

A new build is now available on windows, focusing on the most recent bugs reports.

• Fixed brush would disappear after being renamed
  • Fixed brush would get cloned but fail
  • Fixed brush would be loaded but not attached to a tool.
  • Fixed brush icon would not be updated after editing or cloning the brush.
  • Fixed brush entries would not be removed in the .conf file, only added.

Furthermore I’ve adjusted the max value for brush radius behind the scene, visually you won’t notice the change, it still goes from 0 to 100%. If you however used a brush size of 60% or higher before, then it will probably be scaled down now to something more manageable. This should hopefully fix most cases where the brush editor freezes the UI.

The last important fix that I feel worth mentioning: The input mapper had a bug that made it almost impossible to use certain input types, because the x and y axis used the same min and max… which caused the brush to either get humongous or invisible while also locking the UI because it still tries to preview it.

W32: pencil2d-win32-implement_mypaint_nobitmapsurface-2021-04-11.zip - Google Drive

W64: pencil2d-win64-implement_mypaint_nobitmapsurface-2021-04-11.zip - Google Drive

1 Like

So far I have no complaints with the new version but I haven’t really tried coloring a scene in a more serious manner yet, but I plan to. I’m experimenting lots with watercolor and I can not make up my mind about it. I get that it must be one of the hardest simulations to do in a computer painting software. But seeing how Krita does watercolor I wonder is it possible to get some kind of texture to MyPaint brushes to make it look even more lke it’s watercolor on paper?

I think that Krita does a pretty good job of that, but I’m not switching to Krita beause of it I just wonder how much can be tweaked inside the advanced settings to get the desired looks. Deevad’s brushes is probably the best out there, but what if I downloaded another set of brushes? Is it possible to get them to work properly with P2DMP, I did try briefly a random brush-set and I copied them to P2D brushes folder in the %appdata% folder and set the .config file so that I could select the brush-set so they kind of worked but they needed to be adjusted a bit in the advanced settings also. Am I on thin ice here ? :)

Found this, it answers my question at least somewhat. :+1:

Water color capability: With mypaint brush library, unless it becomes a focus, I don’t expect to see water painting abilities similar to what Krita can do in the near future. Custom brush dab support has been requested before and would be able to make it much easier to simulate water paint like effects. The lack of texture really is what sets mypaint back the most currently imo. so maybe at some point I could look into it. There are however other things that have higher priority than making image dab support for libmypaint :slight_smile: even though it would be very useful and expand the room for brush improvements a lot.

Brush import: You can indeed import other brush sets manually and they may or may not work entirely as expected, which it also sounds like you’ve experienced. I’m not sure why though, maybe because they have been created with a different library version… or there could be a bug something that i’m not aware of… :thinking:

Be aware that the newest mypaint library uses another brush format… so some brushpacks will currently not work because we use an older version. Although you could probably convert them manually if you really wanted to try out those brushes.

New link to my nightlybuilds folder: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7zQuPZEO_64NlFsM0JTTmwzdlk?resourcekey=0-OH1z92WbhWb0KxjgDC3ehA&usp=sharing

The latest build with mypaint included should be from 09/15 2021… make sure the list is ordered properly!

it contains various fixes and improvements, since the last release. The build is now also up to date with master.

Noteworthy improvement and or fixes:

• Fix some brushes did not work.
  • Implement ability to reset brush to initial state from brush configurator
  • Fixed that settings would not be placed consistently in tool settings, ie. jump around
  • Fix bitmapbucket not working when filling on empty canvas
1 Like