Manu's Workbench

My previous thread got so long and the title was not so up to date anymore since 7-8 years :slight_smile: so therefore I created this one.

I hope this tutorial can be of use to someone.

1 Like

A quick test with Pencil2D-MyPaint. It’s supposed to look like watercolor :) I should have let the colortones be more rough.

4 Likes

Just a very small project for fun that I did this weekend. I had no anti-alias because I did not want to go through the trouble with the bucket fill leaving white spots, but I don’t think it is noticeable that the lines are jaggy, not at this resolution.

I also tried a nightly with the new bucket fill tool, but there I had a problem with undo but I think as a tool it’s an improvement as I now can choose which layer the color goes too. :+1:

3 Likes

@manu Great work Manu! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Thanks Jose, I thought it was time to put something up before I start enjoying the very short summer here in Finland and I also wanted to test doing the characters outlines with pressure sensitivity off (and A-A off) As with illustrating it’s normal to vary the line thickness, but with animation I have understood it’s not always desired. 1,5 weeks more and I go on 4 weeks holiday. :partying_face:

2 Likes

Thank you, for your work! i think the time to show the messages has to be a little longer. I can work around it in youtube when i set the play a little slower.

Painting grandients can be such a pain. In Inkscape you can put together a hat in a breeze with gradients and export the (png) picture into pencil.

Your drawing skills are very good! I like the chest!

1 Like

Thanks for the compliments Stefan and yes the text goes by little to fast, video editing can sometimes be boring, IMHO :smiley: but I need to pay more attention to it next time I admit. :blush:

I used Inkscape a lot some years ago, but for 2D animation I have not considered using it. The thing with the hat was that it was animated and part of a scene that had this painted feel over it so In case I would have involved Inkscape then it would have stood out as a little odd maybe compared to the rest.

1 Like

Just got to finnish my latest animation of Gaston which I was very found of already as a kid. I did some misstakes in the process (as usual) so I hope I remember those when I go forward to the next project.

3 Likes

@manu haha that’s cool Manu, nice job!

1 Like

Thanks, Jose! :) I used the nightly version this time with the new bucket fill tool, it worked very well. I think I had one or maybe two crashes and one I remember happened when I deleted a layer…but not a single frame lost, as a precaution I used 2 save files in parallel and sometimes 3 when I did bigger changes. As the project went on I left the old save files be and created a pair of new that I saved to. So I see I have left at least 15 different save files behind me in different stages of the project but I thought I would have more crashes I think it’s at least 60 hours work I put in so P2D had a lot of opportunities to crash. :) The animation is about 700 frames long (not individual frames) tried to animate in 2’s but as an experiment I tried to keep them all in one single project file even though I know it’s prefered to split the project up, but Pencil2D behaved well :D I was afraid when I started adding sound that I would end up in trouble but no, not one crash. So keep up the good work you developers, P2D is really, really slick! . :+1:

2 Likes

@manu Hey Manu! thanks for the report. Actually at this moment we’re looking into an issue related to sound layers making Pencil2D crash, which might have been what made yours to crash as well (and if not we would love for you to recall what you were doing when the progrma crashed to investigate)

Other than that I’m glad to hear that you’re experimenting so fruitfully with the application. Any other issues you find, please immediately report them to us here so we can discuss them. That way if there’s a fresh issue we may be able to narrow down the root cause and report it properly on github.

Keep creating and we hope to see more of your excellent work! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

So after a few trial and errors I got this shot together in HitFilm Express. I was a bit uncertain if I could get the animated elements to stay in their right place due to the fact that I was scaling the different layers along with the animation to get my desired multiplane effect.

I exported the animated elemets as transparent PNGs and immported them to Hitfilm in separate layers.

At worst it would make the animated elements to look like they where floating on their own across the scene. I was happy to find out I only needed to copy the scale settings from the layer the animation belonged to and apply the same keypoints to them as the correspondiinng background and they scaled just fine.

1 Like

It’s been a while since I updated my thread here. I’ve continuously been using Pencil2D challenging myself to do more stuff with it.

Here’s a two of my latest ones, hope you find it interesting to watch and thanks for your efforts improving P2D, I get excited every time I see your progress. The copy & paste of multiple frames is one of the lates I use almost every time. The perspective tool and the new camera movement system is aslo superb new features, not to talk about the MyPaint integration It’s is just awesome.

[Snowman (Pencil2D) - YouTube]

[Toughest Dude In The Wild West - Animated Short (2022) - YouTube]

5 Likes

@manu Hey! I had seen the snowman one but the western animation is new, and it’s really well done, congratulations and thank you for the kind words and excellent work!

1 Like

Here’s a sample of my lates drawing with MyPaint version of P2D. I hope to do a speedpainting video of another attempt later on but I needed the practice first. As before I looked for inspiration from Disney and this time the Pinoccio backgrounds coloring style. Tried to get a watercoor feel but maybe turned out more gouache.

If you look closely you can see some brick effects in the coloring, I have no idea where this comes from but it happens with P2D MyPaint but I have no idea why. You can see it on the end of the wooded pice closest to the camera.

2 Likes

@manu Hey Manu, nice drawing! I can see the issue you mentioned. I believe there are some brushes that can have a texture background for MyPaint lib, perhaps one of the brushes you used had this enabled at some point.

If you recall which ones they are, let us know so we can try to test them. We can also try askng @MrStevns in case he knows if it’s actually a bug or not.

1 Like

A very nice drawing indeed!

About that tiling issue… it’s not something I’ve seen before, I doubt it’s a texture effect though because it’s across both the wooden pieces to the left and right, aligned horizontally, it’s not as easy to spot on the right one as the left but it’s still there.

Did you work on just one layer and if you erase those wooden spots, does the tiling effect go away?

1 Like

Hi CandyFace, thanks. :grinning:

Sorry for not replying sooner but I have been thinking about what you said. Yes the background is on another layer and the brushes used are transparent to their nature so actually when I placed the background beneath the image the image became darker all together, which is understandable.

This is not something I think software can solve it’s more a matter of how to go about the fact that the brushes are a bit transparent. I tried to paint white on the background just under the error I pointed out and the boxes disappeared so to correct the issue I either need a pure white color under the image or I need to paint the background on the same layer as the image is.

It should not be too much of a hassle I will test some more painting with that in mind and see how to best go about it.

I could send you the project file if you like to have a look anyway, just DM me and I will set up a download link for you.