Lasso selection tool

lasso select tool = idea for selecting custom part of drawings.

We have rectangle Selection Tool, but it is a little bit draft and inexact.

4 Likes

YES please :( :sob: It’s really an important feature, idk why its missing :')

2 Likes

Yes, lasso tool please!!! It is really! really! important! Rarely do things that need to be transformed present themselves in a neat box shape. That is why even MS paint has had a lasso tool for decades. It will drastically improve usability!

My workaround for this is: make a rectangle selection, copy that to an adjacent temporary frame, erase the unwanted bits, do the needed transformation with onion skin enabled to preview the result, copy the edited bit, go the the original frame, erase the unwanted bits and paste over it, delete the temporary frame.

See how tedious that it? That’s how important a lasso select tool is.

I have never missed the lasso tool, but it is a feature that many want, and I’m afraid that I must tell you, that it - to my knowledge - is not being worked on right now.

The process you describe is tedius, but animation is tedious. I worked as an animator/director for +20 years, so I know.

Unfortunately there are very few developers in our group, and we are more concerned about basic features and stability at the moment.

A lasso tool will probably be implemented in the future, but not in the nearest future.

I hope you’ll enjoy Pencil2D in the meantime, because traditional animation is a very rewarding hobby/business - with or without the lasso tool.

Hi,

I am really enjoying Pencil2D these days. I am an animatic artist. I used to do it with Blender grease pencil. But unlike Blender, Pencil2D runs on old Hardware. It has brought my 12 year old laptop to life, now I can work on the go. Big thanks to whoever added the feature to add/remove time between frames with hotkeys. That is the feature that really made Pencil2D useable for my work. A lack of lasso tool isn’t going to hold me back from Pencil2D. But it would be super awesome to have it.

Thanks.