Is it possible to make a full feature film in Pencil2D?

I’ve recently converted animation of my feature film, Maxwell, Snowball & Maple Syrup: The Movie, into Pencil2D since I don’t have enough experience in CGI. Assuming each shot or scene has its own .pcl or .pclx file, can one make a full 100-minute feature film in Pencil2D?

@DoomesPro93 Hi. Assuming each shot is a single Pencil2D file, Yes. Normally you’d composite each shot separately as well (e.g using After Effects) and then you’d take each shot into a video editor and edit the whole film in there for the final result.

Just in case, regardless of software, you should always work individual shots on individual files. This is meant to encourage division of labor within an animation production, but more importantly to avoid having the whole film lost because a single file got corrupted or an HDD with the single file stopped working.

Also make multiple copies of each shot accordingly to map your progress and showcase each milestone within a shot (e.g rough, clean, color, etc). This will prevent even a single shot from being lost due to technical (e.g software, hardware) or environmental failure (e.g blackouts)

2 Likes

Yes, it’s definitely possible! :slightly_smiling_face:

I’d use this for making feature films, short films and even television series myself. :blush:

But is it likely that it would be distributed by major studios, like Twentieth Century Fox, no. :disappointed:

But you can most certainly sell your works on websites like Vimeo, since your flicks, like mine, are indie. :slightly_smiling_face:

Good luck working on your movies with Pencil2D! :smile:

Also make multiple copies of each shot accordingly to map your progress and showcase each milestone within a shot (e.g rough, clean, color, etc).

That’s what I’m doing with my own animation projects; I would first make a main project folder. Once that’s done, I would make the “Animation”, “Character Design”, and “Storyboards” folders within the main project folder. Then, I go into the “Animation” folder and make the “Layout”, “Rough”, “Clean-Up” and “Ink And Paint” folders. After that, I go into the “Storyboards” folder that I’ve just made, add folders and rename them in accordance to each scene from the script that I have written for the movie; Scene 1, Scene 2, Scene 3, etc… I would repeat this same step inside the “Layout”, “Rough”, “Clean-Up” and “Ink And Paint” folders located in the “Animation” folder. Starting with the “Layout” folder, I would create a shot file by opening up Pencil 2D as a blank project, or if you wish, a template that has multiple layers in the project’s timeline. I would save it as “Shot 1”, in the “Scene 1” folder located in the “Layout” folder. Then, I would make a copy of the “Shot 1.pclx” file and and paste it into the remaining folders that start with the name “Scene” located in the “Layout” folder. I would repeat this same step inside the “Layout”, “Rough”, “Clean-Up” and “Ink And Paint” folders located in the “Animation” folder. It should be noted that each shot file in each scene folder would correlate with shot images in the “Storyboards” folder. For example, “Shot 1.pclx” file in the “Scene 1” folder, in the “Layout” folder, in the “Animation” folder, would correlate with “Shot 1.jpg” file in the “Scene 1” folder, in the “Storyboards” folder, in the main project folder. Sorry if I sound redundant, but I believe it is necessary to explain how my file and folder sorting system works. Anyway, I would make a copy of the “Shot 1.pclx” file, paste it and rename it as “Shot 2.pclx” within the same folder. Then, I would repeat this same step for the remainder of shot files, in accordance to the storyboards, within the same folder. Then, I would repeat this same step for the remainder of shot files in each of the scene folders that are located in the “Layout”, “Rough”, “Clean-Up”, and “Ink And Paint” folders in the “Animation” folder. Hopefully, readers would understand this as if they were to use this same process because this is quite complicated and frankly wordy. My files and folders are now organized and ready for animation. :slightly_smiling_face: Sorry for the long reply

I fully support what Jose and Jacob writes, so just go ahead @DoomesPro93, and make your movie.

My only reservation is the camera in Pencil2D. It’s safe and reliable for maybe 90-95% of your shots, but not very good suited to making camera movements that you’ll see in most movies.

The good news is that we intend to enhance the camera possibilities. The bad news is that we don’t know when it’ll be ready. Maybe next year…

1 Like

I fully support what Jose and Jacob writes, so just go ahead @DoomesPro93, and make your movie.

Good thing you mentioned my name. I’m quite flattered! :grin: