Interlacing issue on export from premiere

Hi, I’m new to Pencil2D so I appreciate any help you can offer.

I set up my Pencil2D at 800x600 and that was probably my mistake. Once I exported my animation and imported it into Premiere to do some small edits, I noticed the animation (it is only black text on white background) seems interlaced, or at least the animation has jagged lines on each letter I animated.

I used the vector layers in animating because I didn’t want any issues with blurriness or interlacing, even though I understand now that was probably a mistake too.

Can you advise me how to deal with this jagged line issue? Do you think I exported wrong or imported wrong to Premiere? I want the animation to look super clean and now it doesn’t.

Thanks Jenny

You could probably just export it again with 1080 and 720 px or even more, if you like. Even 2k should be possible. 2048px and 1080px.

Full HD would be 1920 x 1080 px

FraFra

Another possible issue might be your method of export… did you export as a video or frames?

I’d always suggest exporting frames via *.png frames if the export isn’t the final version.

When you export a video, you’ll likely get some form of compression, so it’s best to hold off allowing compression until the final export, this way you don’t get accumulative compression artefacts and any compression will be throughout the entire piece, so it will be less noticeable.

I dunno if that helps with your specific problem (I haven’t tried vectors in Pencil2D), but I think it’s a pretty good general tip for video editing.

1 Like

@nilrep Hi. Sorry to hear you’re having difficulties with your export. Regarding interlacing, this is usually setup ever since creating a new project and sequence.

If the Premiere sequence clip is made with a preset that had any type of interlacing, it should show in the name by appending the letter i e.g HDTV 1080i

Honestly in this day and age, unless you’re working for a broadcast network with very old equipment, you wouldn’t need this, so look for presets with a p appended at the end instead e.g HDTV 1080p

Note: i stands for interlaced scan, and p for progressive scan respectively

Using vector layers don’t have anything to do with interlacing either, and for all intents and purposes Pencil2D exports progressively scanned video with a square pixel ratio and 8-bit color depth. I do recommend however you export an image sequence as a middleware format to bring into Premiere to avoid any issue with the export.

Lastly, yes, if you exported the media with an 800 x 600 image size, and then imported that into a higher resolution Premiere video preset, and then resized it inside Premiere, you would be effectively scaling up the media with raster-based software techniques, so the point of using vectors with Pencil2D in the first place would be rendered useless considering upscaling the images would result in a blurry approximation of the originals.

From your comment I gather that you only used vector layers, so my recommendation in this particular case is to use the existing Export upscaling feature in Pencil2D to avoid resizing each frame individually.

For that Go to File > Export > Image Sequence > Resolution section > then change the width & height properties on the export dialog to match with the size from the Premiere video preset (e.g 1920 x 1080, 1280 x 720, or whichever size your sequence is currently at).

It’s possible you already know this, but Just in case at least for other users that visit this thread, once vectors leave Pencil2D they will be rasterized when output as a video or images due to the nature of those formats rooted in bitmap technology.

AFAIK currently there’s no available technology that creates pure vector “video” since by definition video formats are made of raster images.

Of course there are techs that can show entire vector animations for presentation such as SWF, or LOTTIE , but you can only see those on specific devices, platforms or apps (e.g Flash Player, Web browsers, etc)

I hope this helps you as an alternative workaround to other solutions you might have tried out. Cheers.