Importing sound

I’m trying to import sound --> I do file, import, sound, and select the right file (the 1 with the brown folder icon) and that doesn’t work. Neither does clicking and dragging it onto the sound layer.

Anyone have an answer?

@Lightningbender Hi, welcome to the forum. A few questions first.

1. What is your operating system (e.g. Windows 10, macOS 10.12, Ubuntu 18.04, etc)
  2. What is the current version of Pencil2D you are using (go to menu HELP > ABOUT > press the button copy to clipboard and paste the content to the forum comment)
  3. What is the filetype you’re using? MP3, OGG, WAV, etc
  4. Does the sound plays with other apps?
  5. Can you share a link to the sound file and the pencil2D file that is not working?

With those answer we can narrow down possible issues that have been already fixed.

But honestly just in case, if you’re using an MP3, just convert it to a WAV using Audacity and try importing again. The problem with MP3’s is that some codecs are pattented and conflict with certain import plugins, in this case, FFMPEG which is what pencil2d uses to stream / convert the sound samples.

Nevermind, I figured it out. Thank you anyway.

@Lightningbender Would you mind letting us know what you did to make it work for you? It might help other people that run into your same issue in the future. Other than that, good to hear you got it working :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Everyone,

I am experiencing the similar challenge that @Lightningbender mentioned before the fix.

1. I am on Linux OS Ubuntu 18.04, 64 bit
  2. I am using current stable version of Pencil2d ( v0.6.4). 3, The file type was in mp3 then I changed it to wav - it does not work on both formats
  3. Yes, the sounds do play on other apps
  4. This link has my sound files and the pencil 2D folder.

I am trying to create a visual animated story with sound.

I hope someone can help.

Thanks

@elolelo I’m assuming your using the AppImage version of Pencil2D. It does not support audio playback in-app. You can use the flatpak version or the latest nightly build appimage which experimentally supports audio playback. Both have sections on our downloads page.