How to stop lag?

Whenever I use my Wacom tablet, the “ink” drags behind my cursor. I don’t know what to call it… Coloring? Lines? It’s only when I use my tablet and Pencil. My track pad works fine. I use 0.5.4, and a mac.

1 Like

@username0123 Hey. If you’re using MAC, do you have the Mavericks version? if so I highly recommend you to use the latest version of Pencil2D which has resolved this issue. You can download new versions on this folder:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BxdcdOiOmg-CeVpTY294cXdLZ2c

While this is a direct link to the 2016 November build:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxdcdOiOmg-CZUctazFtbmk5MGM

If possible do not use 0.5.4 anymore, as it is a heavily dated version.

However note that if you don’t have MAC OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) or above, you might not be able to use the latest versions with the fix. I think the one I linked work for 10.7 or 10.8 and above, but I’m not sure since I don’t have a Mac.

Hope this helps.

Holy shit this happens to me too help meeeee.

@MarTube I just answered you on Github, but I’ll write the same here again:

Without more info is rather hard to help. Let the devs know:

1. What your operating system is. (Is it windows, mac, linux? what version?)
  2. What version of Pencil2D you’re using. (go to Help > About in the app)
  3. What are your computer specs, etc. (Speed of CPU, RAM size)

If you’re either using an older version of Pencil2D, or your computer is not relatively modern, the drawing will lag. There are known issues where drawing really fast (like seriously fast) or drawing HUGE circles will lag the strokes. So unless you are doing that or you don’t have a speedy computer (at least dual core with 2 gb ram) drawing will visibly lag.

This is all my info

Software: Pencil2d
Version: 0.6.2
Operating systen: MacOS Sierra (10.12)
Cpu Architecture: x86_64

@MarTube Thanks, but you’re missing a few elements. Please follow this guide if you don’t know how to access your RAM and CPU speed. https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT203001

Also please answer few more questions for the trouble shooting:

1. Do you have any graphics tablet? what brand? (You can find that on the “System Report” button on the Overview tab or simply look at your graphics tablet box)
    Note: Please keep in mind to always download the latest driver update for your graphics tablet, when possible.

2. If you use other software like photoshop or krita (free), do they also have a delay when drawing? YES | NO

3. If you use a mouse do draw, is there also a delay when drawing? YES | NO

4. If you use the windowed mode and resize the window about half the size of your screen and try drawing. do you get lag that way? YES | NO

@MrStevns Hey, sorry to bother you, there seems to be an issue where a user has lag / delay when drawing all the time. Once the recent user provides the missing details, would you mind checking it out? they have a macOS (sierra) powered computer.

Are you aware of any conditions where this happens on a MAC computer? Thanks :slight_smile:

I’m on Sierra too but I can’t say that I have unfortunately. We’ll need to know what the user mean by lag because the drawing tools do indeed have a certain amount of trailing behind the tool cursor compared to canvas cursor (the round shape). This issue is not isolated to mac but all platforms as far as I know.

If we’re talking about the insane lag that was experienced on >= Mac os 10.10 El Capitan and fixed a long time ago, that is, that a stroke will lag A LOT behind and freeze the application until done drawing, then that’s a different story.

1. Do you have any graphics tablet? what brand? ( You can find that on the “System Report” button on the Overview tab or simply look at your graphics tablet box )
    A: Mine is a Huion H420 USB pen tablet. It has 2048 pressure levels.

Note : Please keep in mind to always download the latest driver update for your graphics tablet, when possible.

1. If you use other software like photoshop or krita (free), do they also have a delay when drawing? YES | NO

2. If you use a mouse do draw, is there also a delay when drawing? YES | NO

3. If you use the windowed mode and resize the window about half the size of your screen and try drawing. do you get lag that way? YES | NO

@MarTube Alright, thanks. It seems that the way Pencil2D calculates the strokes as well as how it interfaces with the HUION tablet is causing the issue.

I see you never really mentioned your specs, so just for comparison: I use Windows 7 with a 3.1 GHZ Quad Core CPU and 8 GIGS of RAM. When using the CPU at full power Pencil2D doesn’t lag for me like that, but If I underclock (lower the voltage of the cpu to simulate a slower cpu / fewer cores), Pencil2D will lag for me horribly, which is why I suggested the last test.

Unfortunately aside from the “halving window size” trick I don’t know any other method to speed it up. We’ll have to wait for Pencil2D’s developers to look into it.

For now I can only recommend trying to find another software that might feel comfortable for you to work on your projects. Or working with the window size as small as you can, so the computer won’t lag the strokes :confounded:

@MrStevns seeing the user has answered most of the troubleshooting, I believe that indeed as you mentioned there’s still quite the issue present nowadays, but notice that he mentioned that using a mouse does NOT prompt the behavior, so it’s not only a problem of Pencil2D but also a problem of the tablet interface.

You have a HUION too, if I’m not mistaken, do you think we could request for a HUION SDK if we prompted them for that? I feel there’s something missing here and QT tablet drivers might nit be enough.

Besides, aside of getting a “faster” computer I don’t know any workarounds for solving this issue and I wonder what will entail for us to get Pencil2D working “normally” on minimum computer specs.As far as I can tell Pencil2D can work on a dual core 2gb ram (which is a laptop I have) and it’s slow as hell.

I am hopeful that these changes may help fix the issue with HUION tablets lagging. This isn’t the first time it has been reported. Unfortunately we don’t have a public build of it for you to test at the moment, but when the changes are included in the nightly build, I will try to remember to make a post here so it can be tested.

1 Like

@JoseMoreno I doubt they’ll publish a SDK if we asked for it. I’m not sure that’s the proper solution either since we can’t and shouldn’t implement tablet solution based on brand.

@MarTube would you mind recording a video of the lag you’re experiencing?
either as a gif using licecap, gifcam or whatever or upload it to youtube would be very helpful.

@MarTube We have recently made some changes to the tablet input code. If you are still interested, please try out our 2018-11-04 nightly build for your operating system. Nightly builds can be found here. Please let us know if there is any noticeable improvement for you.