[FIXED] "SAVE" and "SAVE AS" options very unstable (last build)

Reporting to the last build (2jun, two hours ago)

I have been testing the SAVE and SAVE AS functionalities and it is very unstable. I have lost at least 5 animation´s clips.

Here what I have found:
I saved some animations using the SAVE and the SAVE AS options and in both cases I use the same test animations layers/frames (just a few frames with 3 layers at the most)
Pencil at first saves (using SAVE and SAVE AS) files with apparently no error.
Opening those saved files shows no error.

If Pencil crashes when saving a file (it may happen with both save functions) that file will get corrupted, no chance to open it.
If opening a saved project (that is NOT corrupted) after a pencil-crash without closing the program and loading it again, it will make that project corrupted as well, with no hope to open it again.

@kaiko

This information is very useful.

I believe a stable save function is necessary,
so I’ll try to fix this as soon as possible, jsut after I finish custom keyboard shortcuts.

Hey, @kaiko

Could you send me a corrupted project ?
I need it to figure out what happened.

Hi @Matt,

I deleted all of that. No problem, I will start making another “project” and … (uuppsss!) how can I send you a file?

Hei @Matt.

Sorry but unfortunately I wasn´t able to reproduce the same behaviours from yesterday.
Today was really a pain. I was not even able to use the SAVE function at all at any time. Crashing, crashing. Yesterday was possible.
So I was wondering if this thing of the “building software” which I installed on my PC to test your development, has some sort of fault in all these weird behaviours…

Please check my last topic http://www.pencil2d.org/forums/topic/open-a-new-documentproject-is-very-unstable/

It is all related, as in real life, and this one particularly may be the “crashing one”.

@Matt,

There was something that I wasn´t able pencil to reproduce it again and was the thing I wrote before in the first comment:

“…If opening a saved project (that is NOT corrupted) after a pencil-crash without closing the program and loading it again, it will make that project corrupted as well, with no hope to open it again”

I did not explain correctly that behaviour. If pencil crashed the program would have been closed by itself or by our operation system, so it doesn’t make sense that sentence.
And here it is: I found out what really happened.

Last build will only allow documents to be saved once, twice at the most. Without closing pencil (this IS very important to understand this behaviour),

1. draw some lines
  2. save it as “save as” option (File Main Menu SAVE AS)
  3. give it a name, click save.
  4. the project is correctly saved (no errors were showed)
  5. go and open a project (File Main Menu OPEN. doesn’t have to be the project already saved)
  6. draw some lines
  7. save it as “save as” option (the “save” option is more buggy)…
  8. no errors were showed, BUT the project itself is saved with errors, corrupted…

The file on my first comment was already corrupted after all. :slight_smile:

@kaiko,

I’ll take care of SAVING issue this week.
Thanks for your detailed steps, it would help a lot.

Very good news @Matt :slight_smile:

My system:
Win7 Ultimate 64bits SP1, Core2Duo 3Ghz, 8gb memory.

Pencil source code from the last build

Thanks

Hello, I am experiencing similar problems to kaiko with the mac version of the software. I have done the following:

1. draw some lines
  2. save it as “save as” option (File Main Menu SAVE AS)
  3. give it a name, click save.
  4. the project is correctly saved (no errors were showed)
  5. go and open a project (File Main Menu OPEN. doesn’t have to be the project already saved)
  6. draw some lines
  7. save it as “save as” option (the “save” option is more buggy)…

The file crashes at this point and doesn’t save the changes.