Problems with sound layers

@AnimatorElisa So the problem lies with the 32bit version then? Thank you for providing the concrete steps to reproduce this error as well.

I’d like to ask however, do you have a 32bit computer? It seems that Microsoft has been eclipsing the 32bit version since 2020, so moving forward Windows 10 will only work with 64bits computers and the 32bit capabilities will be limited until they disappear completely. More info here Microsoft stops offering 32-bit Windows 10 to computer manufacturers | Engadget

I have a 64 bit machine, but I’ll download the 32bit version of Pencil2D for Windows 10 to test this issue regardless, and hopefully if I can reproduce it I will be able to escalate the problem to the developers. Thanks.

Hi Pencil2D Team

I throughly agree with your diagnosis of the problem.

Elisa Kivi

@AnimatorElisa Can you please make a screen recording of the dialog not coming up in Windows 10 and share a link to it here? Please carefully follow all of the following instructions in your recording:

• Start the recording with Pencil2D quit completely and open it up while recording
  • Show the About dialog
  • Show the Autosave section of your Pencil2D preferences
  • Do not use any keyboard shortcuts so it is clear exactly which actions you are taking
  • Finally reproduce your issue

We have described multiple times very clearly how the autosave works and have not been able to reproduce any of the issues you describe. If we see what exactly you are doing we should be able to identify the cause of the issue and establish if there is some deeper cross-platform issue with the autosave fuctionality. Otherwise, there is nothing more we can do to help you.

Hi Pencil2D Team

Today I made a new project. I then drew a shape using the line tool, in bitmapped mode. Then I copied the shape using the duplicate function, about 20 times. The Autosave Enabled, Number of modifications set to 5.

Then I set the frame pointer to the largest frame number 5, then I deleted 5 frames. I got the full message & Pencil2D waited for my reply.

I Then saved the project using save as option, when I repeated the delete frame operation 5 times it displayed the message, but didn’t wait for a user input.

The problem I’d obviously illusive, I’ll do more investigation and get back to you.

Elisa Kivi

@AnimatorElisa Thank you for your report, though i’d like to ask you to please follow scribblemaniac’s suggestion on how to record the problem with a screen capture video so the information is more accurate and the developers can replicate the issue without fail.

If you need software for that you can use Open Broadcast Software which is free and highly configurable and friendly. https://obsproject.com/

Hi Pencil2D Team

I’ve never used screen capture software before, other than .png file screen capture. Therefore it will take a little time to install and learn how to use the software. When I’ve needed to screen capture in work i’ve had support from the IT department.

Elisa Kivi

@AnimatorElisa Take your time :+1: We appreciate the effort and I thank you for being thorough with your reports.

Hi Pencil2D Team

Attached is a .doc file about my investigations including findings, Penguin-4.mp4, Penguin-4.pclx.

Thank you for the inspiration to make a voyage of discovery.

Elisa Kivi

(Attachment AutoSave.doc is missing)

Message.png

(Attachment Penguin-4.mp4 is missing)

Penguin-4.pclx (1.26 MB)

@AnimatorElisa Hi. Thank you. If possible please send always a zip file that contains all the files, that way restricted formats won’t go missing. The forum is only able to load some media files, zip files and pclx files directly.

Hi Pencil2D Team

The missing files in .zip format attached.

Elisa Kivi

(Attachment AutoSave.zip is missing)

Hi Pencil2D Team

The attached file is a .zip file disgused as a .pclx file to evade the input filter on this email account.

Elisa Kivi

AutoSave_Zip.pclx (406 KB)

Hi Pencil2D Team

You’ve had a real success, you’ve taught an old dog a new trick. I’m now sold on using screen recording as a fault diagnostic tool. Thanks for the insights!

Elisa Kivi

@AnimatorElisa Than you for helping out and for taking our suggestions into account.

I’m personally busy this week, and while I’ve already downloaded the file it may take some time before I can inspect the package thoroughly.

The developers are currently in a similar situation, so they may also take a while before we can discuss this issue you shared with us, however we will definitely look into it so we can hopefully find not only a way to reproduce the problem but to fix it as soon as possible.

Thank you once more and I’m glad the suggested recording tool was useful. Take care :wave: