MyPaint version pre-alpha preview

Water color capability: With mypaint brush library, unless it becomes a focus, I don’t expect to see water painting abilities similar to what Krita can do in the near future. Custom brush dab support has been requested before and would be able to make it much easier to simulate water paint like effects. The lack of texture really is what sets mypaint back the most currently imo. so maybe at some point I could look into it. There are however other things that have higher priority than making image dab support for libmypaint :slight_smile: even though it would be very useful and expand the room for brush improvements a lot.

Brush import: You can indeed import other brush sets manually and they may or may not work entirely as expected, which it also sounds like you’ve experienced. I’m not sure why though, maybe because they have been created with a different library version… or there could be a bug something that i’m not aware of… :thinking:

Be aware that the newest mypaint library uses another brush format… so some brushpacks will currently not work because we use an older version. Although you could probably convert them manually if you really wanted to try out those brushes.

New link to my nightlybuilds folder: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7zQuPZEO_64NlFsM0JTTmwzdlk?resourcekey=0-OH1z92WbhWb0KxjgDC3ehA&usp=sharing

The latest build with mypaint included should be from 09/15 2021… make sure the list is ordered properly!

it contains various fixes and improvements, since the last release. The build is now also up to date with master.

Noteworthy improvement and or fixes:

• Fix some brushes did not work.
  • Implement ability to reset brush to initial state from brush configurator
  • Fixed that settings would not be placed consistently in tool settings, ie. jump around
  • Fix bitmapbucket not working when filling on empty canvas
1 Like

Thanks for the update, CandyFace. I tried it yesterday so far I only noticed one thing. I have different shortcuts on my PC for P2D-Nightly, P2D-0.6.6, and P2D-MP and as soon as I started latest P2D-MP build then it reset all my windows, tools panels and keyboard shortcuts. Because these settings are in %appdata% (I think) it did not help me to just close P2D-MP and start the Nightly the damage was already done. Luckily I have saved my shortcuts file so I could easily import it and the Windows are easy to drag back where I want them, only problem is that P2D-MP resets them again next time I start it. :slight_smile:

Ah crap… maybe i forgot to remove my debugging code that clears settings on launch, that would explain it.

Will look into it :)

1 Like

Yup I forgot to remove the code… it’s gone now. Latest build is now available.

1 Like

Hi CandyFace ! I was supposed to report a problem with the “Dirty” brush pack that I had when I tried using it with P2D-MyPaint, but a test today with a fresh file I could not get it to crash :slight_smile: So I have to wait if I ever encounter it again then I’ll get back to you.

I might as welll give a heads up to anyone searching for nice brush packs to try it out if you like. I like “deevad” very much but “Dirty” just added the missing pieces for me.

2 Likes

New more permanent link to the mypaint builds:

Win64
Win32
Mac OS

2 Likes

@MrStevns Thank you for the latest version! I was testing it and it was working ok on a surface level, however I ran up a crashing inducing behavior that I can reproduce perfectly all the time on Windows 10.

Some reproduction steps

1. Open Pencil2D-Mypaint build
  2. Pick any tool
  3. Go to the Brushes panel
  4. Press config button
  5. In the properties window that pops up press the dropdown (it should say pressure) and select custom
  6. Pencil2D will crash.

New build: Mac Win32 Win64

Bugfixes:

• Fixed crash when adding an input modifier for a setting that didn’t already contain one input setting.
  • Fixed crash when removing an input modifier
  • Fixed removing input modifier did not get saved to disk

Small visual improvement:

Added icon for input modifier button, now the brush configurator looks a bit more complete.

1 Like

Theoretically can we take current projects we are working on in Pencil2D, take the .pcl file and put it into the MyPaint version so we can work on the project in that version? I’m working on an animated series and I want it to look the best I can make it.

Ignore my last post- I can’t wait till this new version. More brushes are gonna take Pencil2D to another level

@Jordan_River_Studios It’s Pencil2D with brushes, so yes you can, but again bear in mind it’s still experimental so you better save a lot of backups (plus some of the recent fixes are not included in this branch AFAIK) so you might see weird stuff happening from time to time if you use it like it is.

Of course it is super important that anyone using this can report issues related to MyPaint, so give it a spin for a hobby project if you have the time. Thank you for your interest as always!

@MrStevns Ok did some more tests on the latest version you shared.

• :thinking: :thought_balloon: To make behavior a bit more generic, opacity in pencil tool could behave like other tools, right now even if you set opacity at 100% and remove the pressure input mapping graph, it’s still semi-opaque so it feels unexpected.
  • :warning: Changing pressure graphs does not update the stroke placed on the canvas up until the attribute slider changes.
  • :warning: Drawing fast lines show stroke segment “breaks” due to slow tracking attribute. This was tested with the Pencil tool presets; reducing slow tracking to 0 improves the line “smoothness” when drawing fast.
  • :warning: Brush and Pen presets fast lines tend to break even without slow tracking enabled. :thinking: :hammer_and_wrench: Might need more testing to find if there’s an attribute pattern that leads to this, or just to conclude specific presets are faulty
  • :bangbang: :rotating_light: Using the colorize attribute automatically crashes the app. Just try using the slider and the app closes.
  • :bangbang: :rotating_light: After having the colorize attribute crash the app, now I after just starting Pencil2D, If I press the config button on the brush panel for the first Pencil preset (4H_Pencil), Pencil2D crashes automatically.

Other presets work ok so I think the preset got “corrupted” somehow, though it seems that the presets were saved without my approval.

I thought the presets were saved temporarily for the session, but it doesn’t seem like that, in these cases saving the presets and storing faulty values seems to expose this problem when an attribute makes the preset unreadable.

Edit: Ok it seems I was right, the MYB got the colorize value stored with a 0.2 value. I assume that this is why I can’t even look at it. I can’t restore it via the GUI because it won’t let me open the editor without crashing, so only advanced users would be able to restore the preset by messing with the text file :thinking:

I think there should be a way to restore the brush presets without looking in the editor. Maybe right clicking on the preset? just a thought tho, the main problem is that the editor can’t seem to parse the colorize value, even though using it on the canvas doesn’t seem to carry any trouble :laughing:

Thanks for another testing round :slight_smile:

To make behavior a bit more generic, opacity in pencil tool could behave like other tools, right now even if you set opacity at 100% and remove the pressure input mapping graph, it’s still semi-opaque so it feels unexpected.

Have you checked whether this is the case with mypaint too? if so there’s probably not much we can do about it, it’s most likely about the combination of brush settings that causes that behaviour

:warning: Changing pressure graphs does not update the stroke placed on the canvas up until the attribute slider changes.

I will look into that

Drawing fast lines show stroke segment “breaks” due to slow tracking attribute. This was tested with the Pencil tool presets; reducing slow tracking to 0 improves the line “smoothness” when drawing fast.

Brush and Pen presets fast lines tend to break even without slow tracking enabled. :thinking: :hammer_and_wrench: Might need more testing to find if there’s an attribute pattern that leads to this, or just to conclude specific presets are faulty

Stroke breaks will likely not disappear just because of the mypaint integration, it requires a better filtering of the tablet and mouse events to fix this problem properly. Mypaint also has this issue themselves.

:bangbang: :rotating_light: Using the colorize attribute automatically crashes the app. Just try using the slider and the app closes.

Interesting, will try to reproduce

After having the colorize attribute crash the app, now I after just starting Pencil2D, If I press the config button on the brush panel for the first Pencil preset (4H_Pencil), Pencil2D crashes automatically.

Sounds like something unexpected is happening, you’ll have to reset the brush folder or remove that specific attribute from the config file to fix the situation for now.

I think there should be a way to restore the brush presets without looking in the editor. Maybe right clicking on the preset? just a thought tho, the main problem is that the editor can’t seem to parse the colorize value, even though using it on the canvas doesn’t seem to carry any trouble :laughing:

This should be doable, will look into that.

Hi CandyFace, don’t know if this has anything to do with what Jose reported but I have noticed this also in the version before and maybe you are aware of it.

The problem is a lag in pen strokes directly after an undo. It only is the frist pen stroke after the undo that lags not the following pen strokes after that, they are as fast as they should be.

To see this problem you just have to draw a bit outside the canvas (I set the camera to 1920x1080 in my test) the further outside the canvas you draw the more clearly you will see the lag.

A video of me drawing and undo’ing some penstrokes:

Thanks for bringing that to my attention Manu, unfortunately there’s no easy way to fix that currently, at least not to my knowledge.

The delay is caused by the fact that the update of the canvas after undo’ing, requires a reset of the mypaint surface, because mypaint is not aware of undo/redo, that’s pencil2D state. This basically means removing all tiles and re-adding them based on the undo/redo image. As the image gets bigger and bigger, the operation takes longer.

@JoseMoreno

:warning: Changing pressure graphs does not update the stroke placed on the canvas up until the attribute slider changes.

This has been fixed now.

:bangbang: :rotating_light: Using the colorize attribute automatically crashes the app. Just try using the slider and the app closes.

This one is a head scratcher… it’s seemingly not a bug in pencil2D that’s causing the crash but a bug in the mypaint backend… i’ve looked into it a bit but i’m not certain what’s causing the behavior. I will ask the mypaint developers… maybe they know what’s causing it.

2 Likes

New build ready: Mac Win32 Win64

Bugfixes:

• Fixed brush base value would not be accounted for when modifying brush input in brush configurator
  • Fixed an internal bug in libmypaint that would cause a crash when using the colorize brush setting
  • Not all brushes have brush dynamics, eg. pressure, therefore now the brush mapping button is disabled for those settings, with a tool tip explaining why.

New:

• Brush preview is now based on the front color
1 Like

Many thanks for the update, I’ll start using it right away.

By the way this is probably a older bug but I thought I’d record a video of it anyway.

If I paint or skecth on a frame and accidentially change the frame ( with a keyboard shortcut key ) to the next while holding down the pen, it will ruin the frame I accidentially switched to.

1 Like

Ah yes I forgot about that bug… it will be fixed in the next release. Thanks for reminding me :slight_smile:

Just downloaded the 4-30-2022 release I’m gonna try it out