How hard is to implement a diferent Brush Engine?

I was almost ready to add the same “Idea” when i’ve found this topic. I am agree that TVPaint is very powerful tool but it has quiet small set of brushes and just look what can be done with it!I am not a coder and don’t have idea how it works but i really hope to see some brushes in future .

Oluseyi is right on the general process:

process is Sketch ⟼ Ink ⟼ Paint.

I have been doing these three steps in pencil2d and toonboom and can tell you right off the bat what can considerably improve the pipeline!

1.Sketch The actual pencil sketching engine is not bad at all. It feels like a pencil and is good for sketching. You do not need to implement mypaint’s brushlib to improve this step. However, you can improve the transform tool by adding the ability to ROTATE a selection. This is important when you want to pose a character slightly instead of redrawing it from scratch. You can also improve the selection tool by allowing freehand “LASSO” select mode. Box selecting is tricky with characters- I dont know if you have noticed.

1. Ink Pencil2d already has a vector layer which is ideal for inking. However the inking tools need polish in order to be useable seriously. Redirecting… I have been using toonboom to do my inkling and painting for that reason. -The smooth slider is hidden in preferences- it should be in the left panel
  • there is no way to disable the “sticky” stroke auto-merging. It very often gives undesireable effects. It’s useful but i need to be able to tone it down.
  1. Paint Again- sums down to the vector bucket tool. Now The bucket tool is awesome as is, but sometimes its inconsistent. It lets me fill an area , I couldnt fill after zooming out a lot. Some times it doesnt let me fill areas that are closed. I dont know if this is a bug, but I can provide you with example files if it would help.

Hi @nekogaijin
Pencil2D has in fact a kind of a Blender and Smudge tool already implemented to the bitmap features. They are new features added by @jose.

Of course, they need some improvements but so far they can do the blender/smudge feature you are looking for, with a little more patient and time :slight_smile:
And I agree with you, having a few more paint brush tools would be more than good! And in this case, having this new tools being enhance will just do the work!

@blurymind
The transform tool already got the ability to Rotate a selection (just in case you didn´t notice it do like this: Select an object with the Select-tool -> Click on the Move-tool -> Now, go inside the selected-box and press down the CTRL shortcut-key while dragging the mouse left/right: your object will Rotate accordingly, Left anticlockwise, right clockwise)

This is amazing!! :smiley:
And well hidden. Maybe one day in the future we will get rotate handles like the ones found in photoshop’s transform tool?
Don’t make that a big priority for now though- the important thing is that we can rotate a selection!
Maybe you can write this as a hint somewhere appropriate.

Big thank you to whoever implemented this! Is it a new feature that the old pencil didnt have?

@blurymind.

Good idea. I will write it down.

Cirus (@Jose) was the developer responsible for the addition of the rotation feature, along with other nice features during the last buildings. The old Pencil didn´t have that.

we should write down a list of all the features he has implemented so far. With every new release we would gain more user traction if we announce these new features with shiny example screenshots/videos.

I get that the developer is too busy working on the software, so we can do that instead.
It will be useful for the google plus and facebook groups. News announcements are an important way to letting people know that pencil2d is alive and healthy.

You are right.

With the new releases I will take the new additions to Pencil2D and post them on our pages.

Still, I am not able to build Pencil2D.

Does anyone knows exactly why I have a situation in which I am not able to run “MinGW (default)" and the “qmake”?

(I will try again one more time :slight_smile: )

EDITED: I was not able to build it. I just give it up for a while, till I see some light across the tunnel

1 Like

Pencil is a great program but the fact that it doesnt have a shape tool drives lots of people away cause some pips art style just involves shapes