Drawing a big paint on one just one frame

Hi, I need to draw a paint on one frame, in which several animations (other bitmap layers) happen in different places of the paint so I can move the camera toward what I need to be seen at that particular moment and so on…giving me the chance to have just one environment and not to draw a lot of them…is that possible ??

@Raffaisen So If I understand correctly you want to have a single background that acts as a background for different scenes, but those scenes happen on different parts of the background, correct?

If that is the case, then,Yes. You can use the camera layer to “frame” each part of the background that you want.

A few warnings and recommendations for that to happen:

1. It is important that you paint your background “sections” at least as big as the final resolution of your video. Depending on your background size you might have to make a very big painting.

For example, let’s say I want a final video resolution of 1920 x 1080 (Full HD). I want my background to have 4 different “stages” so I would divide the painting into 4 parts.

If I use a background of only 1920 x 1080, each “stage”, assuming it’s proportions are the same as the main background, will be 1/4th of the main size, that is 480 x 270. If you used the camera on each section of the background it would look with a very low quality. However If I make the background 4 times larger with a final size of 7680 * 4320, once you zoom-into each stage, each one will be at least 1920 x 1080.

Of course having such a large background in Pencil2D is possible, but might strain your computer resources a lot, so if your animation becomes too long, you might experience crashes due to lack of RAM. To avoid losing the file you could save to the .PCL filetype, which does not compress the file so it can save a bit of time when having large files.

1. Since Pencil2D does not have a snapping function, You have to mark on another layer where the camera frame should be positioned over your background. I suggest creating the background in another software and have a transparent layer where you can create a mark that indicates the actual size of the camera when zoomed in.

2. Pencil2D will only let you see the full resolution of your background when you’re in drawing mode (i.e you have a bitmap or vector layer selected) If you have the camera layer selected it will let you only see the actual size of the zoomed in/out camera. So trying to move the view when the camera is selected will change the camera instead.