Cant open 2dPencil

Hey, whenever I try to open pencil, first weird thing is that there is no icon and I have to search through my files every time I open it, second thing when I open it I can’t actually do anything. it says something about using a file compressor or something and when I press “new” it says “Thank you for using the demo version of (i forgot the name of what it said) please buy the full version to continue using”. now, as far as I know, this is a free animating software and I have NO money. please help me, I was really excited to use this… :(

@Ash0nMarzz Hi. First of all sorry to hear you’re having issues. By reading your description it seems however that the issues are not necessarily with Pencil2D at this point, let me explain:

whenever I try to open pencil, first weird thing is that there is no icon and I have to search through my files every time I open it

Pencil2D behaves like a portable application, that means since there’s no installer it doesn’t create an automatic relationship between the software and its files. To open Pencil2D files you need to open them through the app. While there are ways to change this, it is an advanced topic and depends on your operating system.

second thing when I open it I can’t actually do anything. it says something about using a file compressor or something and when I press “new” it says “Thank you for using the demo version of (i forgot the name of what it said) please buy the full version to continue using”.

You’re probably getting the notice for winRAR or winZIP, special software used to open ZIP or compressed files. When you download Pencil2D from the website you are gettin a ZIP file with all the necessary contents to run the software, but you have to extract it first.

If you state your operating system I can try to find a guide to help you run the software, but since you’re most likely using windows you can follow this tutorial by TJFREE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9-bB0RO-do

Thanks! That tutorial helped and im still confused on whether i have an Xp or a normal windows lol. Anyways thanks a lot!

@Ash0nMarzz Ah, don’t worry. Well if you have Windows XP download the specific version for it. That said another user told me they were not being able to use Pencil2D’s latest versions with Windows XP, so if you have the same issue please let us know so I can ask a developer to assist us.

This topic was automatically closed 42 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.