System Error: The code execution cannot proceed because MSVCP140.dll was not found

Keep getting the System Error dialogue:

“The code execution cannot proceed because MSVCP140.dll was not found”

Can any of you kind folks explain in words of one syllable to a 12 year old and her 54yr old Mum what on earth that means and what I should do to fix it?

Have been trawling YouTube for over an hour now. Feel a bit fraught!

Thanks so much x

@JonesyDays Good evening Ma’am. Thank you for writing.

Indeed we’ll gladly attempt to assist you with your issue. The error that you describe, means that the MSVCP140.dll file, necessary to run Pencil2D, does not appear present in your Operating System. This is an issue that has to do with Windows systems, but it has, as far as we know, an easy fix.

Your particular problem is mentioned In the download page of our main website on the trouble-shooting section which I’ll link here only for reference Download | Pencil2D Animation

msvcp140.dll is missing

Install vcredist_x64.exe or vcredist_x86.exe , you can find it in the same folder of Pencil2D.exe after unzip it.

Thankfully the Pencil2D ZIP comes with the .exe files included to install, however if you’d like to download them from a Microsoft sanctioned website this is the direct link Latest supported Visual C++ Redistributable downloads | Microsoft Learn

Note: In microsoft’s website you’d have to download the “distributables” for Visual Studio 2015 and possibly VS 2017

Depending on your computer architecture you either have to install the 32bits (vcredist_x86.exe) or 64 bits (vcredist_x64.exe) version.

If you are unsure as to what kind of software architecture your computer has please follow this guide: 32-bit and 64-bit Windows: Frequently asked questions - Microsoft Support

Once installed, that error should go away, however if you continue to have any other issue, please let us know in order to provide you with further support.

Note A: Pencil2D is currently in development, so even after successfully running the program there might be some bugs or glitches in the program that might impoverish your work. Currently there is an issue with loading and saving on certain computers, but we have a guide to prevent suffering from work loss that you can read on the following LINK

Note B: Sometimes it happens that there are computers so specific that Pencil2D might not work even after implementing known technical solutions, as such if after providing you with all the technical support that is possible for us, your situation with Pencil2D does not improve, we also have an overview list of animation software that you and your child might be able to use as a replacement. There are free and commercial apps outlined there so hopefully you both will be able to continue your artistic journey :slightly_smiling_face:

“The code execution cannot proceed because MSVCP140.dll was not found” is a common issue which arises due to OS bit incompatibility and download a framework this link was removed to resolve it easily.

Mod edit: we’ve removed the provided link redirection as it’s not related to the issue at hand. Please refrain from using underhanded methods to promote your content when it adds nothing to the discussion.

MIne says " The program can’t start because MSVCP120.dll is missing from your computer." A little help here please!!!

@Induwara Hi. That is not an inherent problem with Pencil2D but with your Windows system installation. It means you are missing the necessary visual studio redistributable files. These usually come installed through windows updates.

For MSVCP120.dll you need this to download and install this package: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

This page has greater detail regarding the Visual C++ 2013 files: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3179560/update-for-visual-c-2013-and-visual-c-redistributable-package

If you have issues with the “Universal C Runtime” visit this page and download the file according to your version of Windows: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2999226/update-for-universal-c-runtime-in-windows

If you MSVCP140.dll please install the vc_redist.exe that comes bundled with Pencil2D in the same folder.

My computer keeps saying “The program can’t start because VCRUNTIME140_1.dll is missing from your computer.”

I assumed this could be fixed by downloading the 64-bit for Windows 8 but my computer said I already had the update installed. I’m super confused and I just want to animate on my computer haha please help and thank you.