Sound and animation playing different each time I play

So I’m working on an animation, and it started out alright at first. I imported the sound, and put animation on top of it. But when I go to line up mouth movement to speaking, I can’t determine the correct frame. Because each time I hit the play button, the sound starts at different times. after I chose a spot to work with to see if it would stop, it didn’t. So I tried a new part of the animation where I have no characters talking on screen (but still needs to be lined up with sound). And when I did this, I noticed that the animation would lag, as well as the sound starting up in different places. The little red bar on the timeline would visibly slow down in the middle of my animation, and throw everything off. Is there anything that can be done about this?

@PennyPearls Hi, can you tell us what is the version of Pencil2D you are using right now? you can learn about it by going to the menu HELP > ABOUT. If it’s the new version you can copy and past the info you see on the specs box, if it’s not it might at least say a number or a date.

The sound issue appears to be similar to one that was fixed in newer versions of Pencil2D. As for the “lag” it might be happening due to computer performance. Pencil2D tends to consume a lot of memory when having many layers and /or frames drawn. This has been greatly improved on the latest version, but it is still an issue for most commercial and open-source animation programs out there. Pencil2D is not the only one.

If you are certain you DON’T have the latest version, please download it form our website http://pencil2d.org/download

If you DO have the latest version, please let us know your computer specs as well, and IF possible send us a link of your current work file so we can pass it along to a developer in order to review the issue and pinpoint if it’s a bug or something else that causes the problem.

So I am positive I have the latest version, and I’m not really technical with computers so I’m not quite sure on what I need to say when it comes to computer specs.

@PennyPearls Sorry I didn’t receive notification of your latest answer. By specs meaning System / Hardware specifications. Normally it is good to mention the following:

1. Operating System: i.e Windows 7, MAC OSX 10.12, Ubuntu 16.04, etc
  2. Please indicate If the computer is custom-built, that is made from different parts you find on the market, or if it has a brand as if you bought from a store, e.g Dell, Hewlett Packard, IBM, etc.
  3. It’s important to know if it’s a desktop computer or a laptop computer. The latter would most likely have a particular Brand.
  4. Amount of RAM memory: i.e 8 GB (Gygabytes)
  5. If you can find out what is the processor or CPU speed and brand. i.e AMD 965 Quadcore 3.2 Ghz
  • In Windows systems most of this information is found by accesing the Control Panel > System
  • In Mac OS click the Apple icon in the top left corner of your screen. From the drop-down menu, click About This Mac to open the System Information window.
  • In Linux Systems you can Hit the [Super] key (Start button in windows) > Type and and open [System Monitor]

With this said, in Pencil2D the audio sync / playback isn’t perfect just yet and although this has been improved in the past months, it’s not equal to a dedicated video or audio editor. If we can’t help you fixing your particular problem, my personal recommendation is to animate to the audio in pencil2d as closely as possible and then use a video editor to edit and offset the entire audio track of video to get it synced.