Send the newsletter#1 ?

Hi @chchwy, I was wondering if this is not the time to send our users a newsletter about what’s going on about Pencil2D.
I think a lot of users registered by the time Chris announced he was forking Pencil, and that they never came back here.
Maybe sending a newsletter could summarize what’s happened since then.
What do u think about it ?

We could talk about the changes you made, a potential roadmap, looking for other developpers, …

Also, I registered some social accounts (Facebook,Twitter,Google+); first because I needed it to allow users to login with those kind of accounts on the website, but it could eventually be used to tell news about Pencil2D. Well, that’s not a priority, but so you know it exists. I could give you the accounts info if you want.

G.

You are asking an opinion to @chchwy, and I would like to give you mine.

I think the time has come to send the newsletters to our users.
If they were not happy at all with all the last “forks” and everything in between inside Pencil software, they will actually come to a conclusion that something has changed now, for good, and they can became part of it, if they are willing to.

Congratulation for your work @gordie !

Hi ! This is the draft for the newsletter#1. As i’m not perfectly writing english, could someone read it and correct it ? Is everything alright about what I told ?

Notice that the links are not included here, but there are some.

Also, if we want to use a social account (Facebook, Twitter) to give news about Pencil2D (for users who do not visit this website), this newsletter would be the opportunity to give a link to it.

@chchwy, I don’t know if you use social networks. I already have registered a FB, Twitter and G+ account for Pencil2D (in order to allow users to login with their social accounts on this website), do you think this could be interesting for us ? Eventually would you use one of those accounts ?

Pencil2D took off ! Dear all, a few months ago, we launched the website www.pencil2d.org to host Pencil2D, a fork of the original Pencil software (by Pascal Naidon and Patrick Corrieri); which was no longer maintained.

While it took some time to start this new project; it has now took off. We have a new developper, Matt Chang, which is actually the main (and only) developper on Pencil2D, and started working hard on it.

Matt started by creating Git repositories (on Github and on Bitbucket) to host the source code the project. He quickly fixed some bugs and released a first version of Pencil2D (0.5.1b).

We started communicating around Matt’s work and his will to fork Pencil; and quickly people around the internet started to talk about it (see this article about Pencil’s history, or this one).

After that, Matt had been in touch with Konstantin (from the Morevna’s fork) and they decided to merge their repositories to have one single active repo that would contains all commit history including Oluseyi, Morevna, and Matt’s branch : in the last 30 days, 136 commits were then made. Among others, Matt implemented custom shortcuts in Pencil2D.

We would like to make of Pencil2D a tool that would allow people to draw animation sketches (or more complex animations) in a very simple and responsive software where you can focus on animating things.

Pencil2D sure is just at the beginning of its history, but there is a feeling in the air that things are moving here. There is a lot to do, but here we are sure that there is a place for Pencil2D in the animation world :as there is a lot of softwares (opensource or not) for vector animation or for sketching, there is not much about raster animation with the simplicity that Pencil2D could offer.

We would like you to join our community around Pencil2D. We need you to test Pencil2D, discuss about it, report bugs, and eventually contribute to its code.

You receive this email because you registered on Pencil2D website. As this is our first newsletter, we sent it to all our members. In the future, only people who subscribed to the newsletter will receive it (only a few email per year). So, if it has not been done yet, be sure you did subscribe !

@Gordie,

You are also some sort of force!

About the newsletter, I think you got everything well written. The idea is to transmit enthusiasm, hope and joy.

Great job, @gordie.

Just send it. :smiley:

Hi,

I used Pencil in the past and thought it had great potential. So I am very glad to hear there is active development and interest in it. I have just downloaded 0.5.2 for Mac OS X and am enjoying it once again.

Saw you wanted someone to look over your first newsletter so I asked an acquaintance of mine who does this sort of thing to take a look at it. Hope the result is helpful.

Here is the rewritten newsletter:

Pencil2D has taken off!

Hi everyone! A few months ago we launched the website www.pencil2d.org to host Pencil2D, a fork of the original Pencil software, written by Pascal Naidon and Patrick Corrieri, which was no longer being maintained.

While it has taken some time to start this new project, it has now taken off. Matt Chang is our new developer and while he is primarily working alone, he is hard at work.

Matt began by creating Git repositories on Github and Gitbucket, to host the source code for the project. He quickly fixed some bugs and released the first version of Pencil2D (0.5.1b).

We started a dialogue about Matt’s work and his mission to fork Pencil, and people on the Internet soon started to to take notice. (For a history of Pencil, see this article.)

After that, Matt got in touch with Konstantin from the Morevna fork, and they decided to merge their repositories so as to have a single, active repo that would contain all history of commits, including Oluseyi and Morevna, as well as Matt’s branch. In the past 30 days, 136 commits have been made — among others, Matt has implemented custom shortcuts in Pencil2D.

We would like Pencil2D to become a tool that allows people to make animation sketches, or more complex animations, with a very simple, responsive software, where you can focus on animating.

Pencil2D is just starting out, but there is a feeling around here that things are moving forward. There is still a lot to do, but we are sure there is a place in the animation world for Pencil2D — while there is a lot of software available for vector animation and sketching, both open and closed source, there isn’t much available for raster animation with the simplicity that Pencil2D could offer.

We would love you to join our Pencil2D community. We also need you to test Pencil2D, spread the word about it and report bugs, as well as eventually contribute to its code.

You are receiving this e-mail because you are registered on the Pencil2D website. As this is our first newsletter, we have sent it to all our members. In the future, however, only those who subscribe to the newsletter will receive it, and there will only be a few newsletters per year. Please make sure that you have signed up!

Newsletter edited courtesy of Kathryn. Also available to edit your future newsletters at no charge (credit would be nice). For details, e-mail me at CAFE_anglais_et_plus@yahoo.com.

Waow, thanks, Kathryn ! I’ll send it on the evening.

Thanks @perspexsphinx!

What a nice work from you and Kathryn (are you both the same person?).

@gordie did a great job, giving the real feeling, and Kathryn master it to a professional level. Woohh

Thanks for the help!

Thanks, @perspexsphinx ! It has been sent just now…