[Request] Draw straight line x/y in bitmap layer

Pencil could also need a control key that while holding it down will make your pen/brush tool draw a complete straight line in x or y depending in which direction you’re moving your pen (in bitmap layer too not just vector).

Agreed. This could be a global function.

Pen, Brush, Pencil & Eraser Tools could share a different function that allows you to press “shift” and draw a straight line whereever you press, by clicking a first point on the canvas (point a), and then clicking a second point (point b) effectively drawing (erasing a line between point A and point B. This is how it works in photoshop at it’s base level.

Also it should be possible on these same tools to “lock” the angle of a stroke after an initial motion. For example, if I press shift and then begin to draw the line , the initial direction for that stroke will be constrained so no matter how much you draw if will only draw on that “initial direction axis”.

Polyline Tool could snap every Xº degrees (usually it’s 15º) while pressing shift.

We could also consider having drawing assistants “a la” Krita. I find that those are really helpful, although they have some construction problems (like you can’t create a proportional ellipse assistant) But the vector engine for pencil might be able to allow to do that in the future. Who knows.

Although If you are drawing your layout maybe it can be good to separate applications, like drawing layouts / Perspective in Krita, and only animating in Pencil2D. We’ll have to see what is best.

So basically like GIMP has? Sounds nice. Should be really easy to implement, too, if everyone’s cool with it.

I don’t know but hasn’t GIMP more like a “bitmap” polyline tool. What I had in mind was just with the freehand tool (pen/brush) could just freeze the x or y when you hit e.g alt key or something. Should be faster when you’re sketching in bitmap layer and you realize you want a straight line somewhere, and right after continue sketching freehand (no need to switch tools).

Hi ! Sorry to bring up an old thread, but did this end up on the to-do list? I tend to grab my ruler sometimes and place it on my Huion tablet to try to draw straight lines :slight_smile:

…but really this is not a show stopper, merely a nice to have .

Also it should be possible on these same tools to “lock” the angle of a stroke after an initial motion. For example, if I press shift and then begin to draw the line , the initial direction for that stroke will be constrained so no matter how much you draw if will only draw on that “initial direction axis”.

I would really like this method as you described, it would be my prefered way of using it.

@manu Hey. It is in the developer tracker. I put forth the request myself here Implement a discrete straight line constraint for drawing tools · Issue #1248 · pencil2d/pencil · GitHub

I’m not sure when this will be reviewed, but it’s at least on the roadmap.

1 Like