My First Cartoon Test

Here’s the result of my latest project. I decided to do all the line work with Pencil2D because that is what feels best to draw with. I did the coloring in Krita though, but the coloring wasn’t so advanced so I think I could have managed with Pencil too but because I had so little time to finnish it I settled with Krita just to be safe that I could get it ready in time.

And by the way, Merry Christmas to all of you here!

Just a recording, testing out newest Pencil2D.
Happy New Year!

Well done @manu!

It is so motivating for the developers to see such great artwork made with Pencil! :slight_smile:

https://youtu.be/Txr2ArPNNVE

I know this is just rough but …
At last Pencil2D right on my Surface Pro and with working pressure sensitivity too !!! How I waited for this, right back to animating after a slow 1,5 years :smiley:

Thank you so much alll developers and helpful people on here !!!

2 Likes

More finished version, next some background to add and water ripples.

update
Added lots of frames, not yet finished.

On to another scene
3 Likes

So you are back Manu.

Glad to see your animations again!
:+1:

(and your site is very nice. Nice new animations too, well at least the ones I first saw there)

Thanks Kaiko, yes I’m back. :slight_smile: Thank you for appreciating my work.

I had to go away for a while due to something happening in my family, I don’t want to take that into discussion but it’s those things that happen in life and in every family sooner or later and you’ve always been prepared for it but nevertheless when it makes one be sad and my inspiration to do anything productive just disappeared for more than a year.

But now I’m kind of moved on and I was happy to see that meanwhile you lot had developed Pencil2D even further and made really huge leaps IMHO, so I could not resist to pick up Pencil2D again and thought I’d continue my project. I must say I feel truly inspired due to the fact that I also can use my Surface pro with pressure sensitivity so I don’t need my Wacom Bamboo anymore, a huge step forward for me. That’s the only right way to draw, a tablet like the Wacom Bamboo is fine but drawing right on the screen is unbeatable.

So here I’ll share my next scene from “that project”.

@manu, you can always post your animations here :smile: [I just happened to notice that you posted this on 2018 and I didn’t reply to it. ]

Your style kind of reminds me of the DIlbert cartoon.

Hi kaiko! Thanks for the response, I haven’t been up to much lately that’s why you havent seen so many animations from me.

Here’s an update on that old project I had going. I got to the point where I needed to draw horses pulling a carriage, right there I took water over my head… #“”@!!@ Horses! :smile:

2 Likes

Happy New Year Pencil2D artists, in hope for a better year 2021. (Thinking of Covid here :) )

Keep up the good work with developing Pencil2D and thanks for the progress and updates to everyone involved.

A video from me using Pencil2D

2 Likes

@manu Hey! Good to see you around Manu! Thank you for sharing this excellent video! it’s been years since we saw you around. EDIT: Ah my apologies I didn’t notice you posted a more recent video some weeks ago, haha :sweat_smile:

I hope everything is going well for you and your family. Happy Holidays and Happy new year 2021 :partying_face:

As you said @manu, drawing directly on the screen is just fantastic, like the real thing. Keep posting here. It will inspire others to use pencil2D. I just got you by chance :smile:

Pencil2D is getting lots of improvement since those times. I am whiling to try learning the basics of animation. I will make it a goal to animate something this year LOL

Thanks for your positive feedback Jose. I hope you all could have a somewhat normal Christmas holiday, I have enjoyed my long Christmas holiday and just loved spending some time with Pencil2D. Some months before Christmas I bought a Huion Camvas Pro 16 and it was really a positive experience. I was already drawing on-screen with my Surface laptop but positives is having a bigger screen to draw on and the laptop screen for other things. Reduces the flipping between screens. I did one more video, I don’t know if you guys have the same problem as me but I am lousy at finishing projects :) but I am super good at starting them :D recording videos is one way of forcing myself finish them. I should get back to trying finish my animating project now so here’s one last speed drawing.

2 Likes

I just discovered this thread. Nice work, seeing the work on shots done and finally all the shots together.

2 Likes

Good evening! Just playing around with MyPaint verison of Penci2D. Like many of you I’ve always been impressed by Disneys painted backgrounds that they used in their cartoons. I’m trying my best to replicate something like it with MyPaint Pencil2D, thought I might share this with you and hopefully inspire you to do the same. You really cant advocate Pencil2D too much, loving it :slight_smile:

This is the result.

1 Like

This is another test study I made with the standard version of Pencil2D (not MyPaint -brush version)

2 Likes

@manu Both the disney-inspired prop and the tree stump looks great! :raised_hands:

1 Like

I continued my journey studying Disneys backgrounds and just for experimental purposes I thought I should try to make my own background and paint it fully the best I can, this also to learn a bit during the process. I could not take it any further this time, I am ok with the result but I wanted to do more with the coloring but I a not yet so comfortable with choosing the right colors, the warm and cold etc. Basically I would have wanted the picture to be a bit darker to get a more mysterious feel to it. It took me 18 hours and I started to get fed up with the whole image, usually happens. :smiley:

It’s painted on one layer by purpose, I had a couple of sketch layers before I started the coloring.

I also recorded every minute of it, just to push myself to finnish it. Good method by the way, I heard about it from animator Tonkio Pantoya in one of his videos. I can recommend it if you have the same problem as me, leaving things half finnished.

YouTube video of me painting the background (speedpaint)

Next thing to do is I will try to use it in a short animation. A couple of birds flying in from the window etc.

2 Likes

Nothing better to do a Monday evening, here’s Elmer Fudd.